عنوان مقاله [English]
Aim: The incidence of heart failure increases with age. Cardiomyocyte apoptosis contributes to the pathogenesis of heart failure. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of 12 weeks aerobic training and oral green tea extract on cardiac caspase-3 expression in aged male rats.
Methodology: In this study, 32 aged male rats were randomly divided into 4 groups: control, exercise, supplement and exercise + supplement. Exercise groups performed at intensity of 60-75% of vo2peak aerobic exercise for 12 weeks and 5 days per week; meantime, the supplementary groups consumed green tea extract. Immunohistochemistry method was used to measure the expression of caspase-3. Data was analyzed by ANOVA and Tukey's post hoc test.
Results: The results show that caspase-3 expression was significantly lower in exercise group (18%), supplement group (13%) and exercise + supplement group (43%), than the control group (p≤0.05). Also, caspase-3 expression was significantly lower in exercise + supplement group than exercise group (30%) and supplement group (34%) (p≤0.05).
Conclusion: According to the results of this of this study, combination of 12 weeks of moderate-intensity aerobic training with supplementation of green tea extract can decreased the expression of cardiac caspase-3 than aerobic training and supplementation of green tea alone.
1. Dinh HC, Beyer I, Mets T, Onyema O, Njemini R, Renmans W, et al. Effects of physical exercise on markers of cellular immunosenescence: a systematic review. Calcified tissue international. 2017;100(2):193-215.
2. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams R, Carnethon M, De Simone G, Ferguson TB, Flegal K, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2009 update. Circulation. 2009;119(3):e21-e181.
3. Ko I-G, Kim S-E, Kim C-J, Jee Y-S. Treadmill Exercise Alleviates Aging-induced Apoptosis in Rat Cardiac Myocytes. International Journal of Gerontology. 2013;7(3):152-7.
4. Maejima Y, Adachi S, Ito H, Hirao K, Isobe M. Induction of premature senescence in cardiomyocytes by doxorubicin as a novel mechanism of myocardial damage. Aging cell. 2008;7(2):125-36.
5. Shih H, Lee B, Lee RJ, Boyle AJ. The aging heart and post-infarction left ventricular remodeling. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2011;57(1):9-17.
6. Kanter M, Aksu F, Takir M, Kostek O, Kanter B, Oymagil A. Effects of low intensity exercise against apoptosis and oxidative stress in Streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat heart. Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes. 2017;125(09):583-91.
7. Ashe PC, Berry MD. Apoptotic signaling cascades. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. 2003;27(2):199-214.
8. Kwak H-B. Effects of aging and exercise training on apoptosis in the heart. Journal of exercise rehabilitation. 2013;9(2):212.
9. Peterson JM, Bryner RW, Sindler A, Frisbee JC, Alway SE. Mitochondrial apoptotic signaling is elevated in cardiac but not skeletal muscle in the obese Zucker rat and is reduced with aerobic exercise. Journal of applied physiology. 2008;105(6):1934-43.
10. Fernandes-Alnemri T, Litwack G, Alnemri ES. CPP32, a novel human apoptotic protein with homology to Caenorhabditis elegans cell death protein Ced-3 and mammalian interleukin-1 beta-converting enzyme. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1994;269(49):30761-4.
11. Lu Y, Chen G-Q. Effector caspases and leukemia. International journal of cell biology. 2011;2011.
12. Soufi FG, Farajnia S, Aslanabadi N, Ahmadiasl N, Alipour M, Alipour M, et al. Long-term exercise training affects age-induced changes in HSP70 and apoptosis in rat heart. General physiology and biophysics. 2008;27(4):263.
13. Hsieh S-F, Hu G-C, Chuang Y-C, Chen C-Y, Hu Y-N. The effects and safety of exercise training in subjects with chronic heart failure—do elder subjects gain similar benefits? International Journal of Gerontology. 2010;4(4):165-70.
14. Kwak H-B, Song W, Lawler JM. Exercise training attenuates age-induced elevation in Bax/Bcl-2 ratio, apoptosis, and remodeling in the rat heart. The FASEB Journal. 2006;20(6):791-3.
15. Higdon JV, Frei B. Tea catechins and polyphenols: health effects, metabolism, and antioxidant functions. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2003;43:89-143.
16. Gad SB, Zaghloul DM. Beneficial effects of green tea extract on liver and kidney functions, ultrastructure, lipid profile and hematological parameters in aged male rats. Global Vet. 2013;11(2):191-205.
17. Sheng R, Gu ZL, Xie ML, Zhou WX, Guo CY. Epigallocatechin gallate protects H9c2 cardiomyoblasts against hydrogen dioxides- induced apoptosis and telomere attrition. European journal of pharmacology. 2010;641(2-3):199-206.
18. Li WG, Li QH, Tan Z. Epigallocatechin gallate induces telomere fragmentation in HeLa and 293 but not in MRC-5 cells. Life sciences. 2005;76(15):1735-46.
19. Sheng R, Gu ZL, Xie ML, Zhou WX, Guo CY. EGCG inhibits proliferation of cardiac fibroblasts in rats with cardiac hypertrophy. Planta medica. 2009;75(2):113-20.
20. Sheng R, Gu ZL, Xie ML. Epigallocatechin gallate, the major component of polyphenols in green tea, inhibits telomere attrition mediated cardiomyocyte apoptosis in cardiac hypertrophy. International journal of cardiology. 2013;162(3):199-209.
21. Hoydal MA, Wisloff U, Kemi OJ, Ellingsen O. Running speed and maximal oxygen uptake in rats and mice: practical implications for exercise training. European journal of cardiovascular prevention and rehabilitation : official journal of the European Society of Cardiology, Working Groups on Epidemiology & Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology. 2007;14(6):753-60.
22. Keele JA, Stayton MM. Immunohistochemistry in the Heart: A Protocol Manual 2008 [cited 2016 Aug 12]. Available from: http://www.uwyo.edu/molecbio/faculty-and-staff/mark-stayton/_files/ihc-heart-protocols.pdf.
23. Siagian M, Lousiana M, Santoso DI, Endardjo S. Effects of anaerobic exercise and detraining on the caspase-3 expression of rat ventricular cardiomyocyte. Medical Journal of Indonesia. 2015;24(2):84.
24. Huang C-Y, Lin Y-Y, Hsu C-C, Cheng S-M, Shyu W-C, Ting H, et al. Antiapoptotic effect of exercise training on ovariectomized rat hearts. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2016;121(2):457-65.
25. Lee S-D, Shyu W-C, Cheng I-S, Kuo C-H, Chan Y-S, Lin Y-M, et al. Effects of exercise training on cardiac apoptosis in obese rats. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. 2013;23(6):566-73.
26. Arsenis NC, You T, Ogawa EF, Tinsley GM, Zuo L. Physical activity and telomere length: Impact of aging and potential mechanisms of action. Oncotarget. 2017;8(27):45008-19.
27. Starr JM, Shiels PG, Harris SE, Pattie A, Pearce MS, Relton CL, et al. Oxidative stress, telomere length and biomarkers of physical aging in a cohort aged 79 years from the 1932 Scottish Mental Survey. Mechanisms of ageing and development. 2008;129(12):745-51.
28. Rice-Evans C. Implications of the mechanisms of action of tea polyphenols as antioxidants in vitro for chemoprevention in humans. Proceedings of the Society for experimental Biology and Medicine. 1999;220(4):262-6.
29. Tedeschi E, Menegazzi M, Yao Y, Suzuki H, Förstermann U, Kleinert H. Green tea inhibits human inducible nitric-oxide synthase expression by down-regulating signal transducer and activator of transcription-1α activation. Molecular pharmacology. 2004;65(1):111-20.
30. Kim I-B, Kim D-Y, Lee S-J, Sun M-J, Lee M-S, Li H, et al. Inhibition of IL-8 production by green tea polyphenols in human nasal fibroblasts and a549 epithelial cells. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2006;29(6):1120-5.
31. Tang Y, Matsuoka I, Ono T, Inoue K, Kimura J. Selective up-regulation of P2X4-receptor gene expression by interferon-γ in vascular endothelial cells. Journal of pharmacological sciences. 2008;107(4):419-27.
32. Lakatta EG, Sollott SJ. The “heartbreak” of older age. Molecular interventions. 2002;2(7):431.
33. Jafari A, Pourrazi H, Nikookheslat S, Baradaran B. Effect of Exercise Training on Bcl-2 and Bax Gene Expression in the Rat Heart. Gene, Cell and Tissue. 2015;2(4).
34. Aceros H, Farah G, Cobos‐Puc L, Stabile A, Noiseux N, Mukaddam‐Daher S. Moxonidine improves cardiac structure and performance in SHR through inhibition of cytokines, p38 MAPK and Akt. British journal of pharmacology. 2011;164(3):946-57.
35. Rinaldi B, Corbi G, Boccuti S, Filippelli W, Rengo G, Leosco D, et al. Exercise training affects age-induced changes in SOD and heat shock protein expression in rat heart. Experimental gerontology. 2006;41(8):764-70.
36. Taylor R, Starnes JW. Age, cell signalling and cardioprotection. Acta Physiologica. 2003;178(2):107-16.