Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
1 Associate Professor, Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Mazandaran, Babolsar, Iran
2 MSc of Exercise Physiology, Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Sari Branch, Sari, Iran
Omentin-1 is a adipokine with insulin-sensitizing properties. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of eight weeks of circuit resistance training on plasma omentin-1 levels in obese men. Twenty eight obese men (age; 35.7 ± 8.0 yr, weight; 95.5 ± 14.3 kg, and BMI; 31.8 ± 4.3) voluntarily participated in this study, and were divided into control (n=12) and resistance training (n=16) groups. Subjects in training group performed eight weeks circuit resistance training with 50-85% 1RM (3 days/week). Anthropometrics parameters and fasting plasma glucose, insulin, and omentin-1 levels, as well as insulin resistance index (HOMA-IR) were measured at the baseline and at the end of study. Resistance training induced significant reductions in body weight, BMI and body fat percentage (P < 0.05). Significant reductions in plasma insulin concentration and HOMA-IR scores were found when compared with control group (P < 0.05). we did not find significant changes in plasma omentin-1 levels. The results of this study indicated that resistance training did not affect plasma omentin-1 levels despite significantly improves in anthropometric and metabolic parameters. Therefore it seems that other mechanisms other than changes in body composition and insulin resistance may be involved in regulating plasma omentin-1 levels.
- Derosa G, Fogari E, D'Angelo A, Bianchi L, Bonaventura A, Romano D, et al. Adipocytokine levels in obese and non-obese subjects: an observational study. Inflammation. 2013; 36(4): 914-20.
- Flehmig G, Scholz M, Klöting N, Fasshauer M, Tönjes A, Stumvoll M, et al. Identification of adipokine clusters related to parameters of fat mass, insulin sensitivity and inflammation. PLoS One. 2014; 9(6): e99785.
- Chang HM, Lee HJ, Park HS, Kang JH, Kim KS, Song YS, et al. Effects of weight reduction on serum vaspin concentrations in obese subjects: modification by insulin resistance. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010; 18(11):2105-10.
- Yang RZ, Lee MJ, Hu H, Pray J, Wu HB, Hansen BC, et al. Identification of omentin as a novel depot-specific adipokine in human adipose tissue: possible role in modulating insulin action. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006, 290:1253-1261.
- de Souza Batista CM, Yang RZ, Lee MJ, Glynn NM, Yu DZ, Pray J, et al. Omentin plasma levels and gene expression are decreased in obesity. Diabetes .2007; 56:1655–61.
- Shibata R, Ouchi N, Takahashi R, Terakura Y, Ohashi K, Ikeda N, et al. Omentin as a novel biomarker of metabolic risk factors. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2012; 4(1):37.
- Pan HY, Guo L, Li Q. Changes of serum omentin-1 levels in normal subjects and in patients with impaired glucose regulation and with newly diagnosed and untreated type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2010; 88:29–33.
- Liu R, Wang X, Bu P. Omentin-1 is associated with carotid atherosclerosis in patients with metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011; 93(1):21-5.
- Moreno-Navarrete JM, Catalán V, Ortega F, Gómez-Ambrosi J, Ricart W, Frühbeck G, et al. Circulating omentin concentration increases after weight loss. Nutr Metab (London). 2010; 7:27.
10.Braith RW, Stewart KJ. Resistance exercise training: Its role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease. Circulation. 2006; 113(22): 2642-50.
11.Saremi A, Asghari M, Ghorbani A. Effects of aerobic training on serum omentin-1 and cardiometabolic risk factors in overweight and obese men. J Sports Sci. 2010; 28(9):993-8.
12.Safarzadeh A, Hajizadeh-Rostami M, Talebi-Garakani E, Fathi R. The Effect of Progressive Resistance Training on Serum Concentrations of Omentin-1 and Lipid Profile in Male Rats. Journal of Sport Bioscinces. 2014; 6(3): 287-300. (in persian)
13.Kang S, Woo JH, Shin KO, Kim D, Lee HJ, Kim YJ, et al. Circuit resistance exercise improves glycemic control and adipokines in females with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Sports Sci Med. 2009; 8(4):682-8.
14.Safarzade A, Moazam-Vahid L. Effect of eight weeks resistance training on plasma myonectin concentration in obese men. Journal Appleid Exercise Physiology (jaep). 2017; 12(24): 119-128. doi: 10.22080/jaep.2017.1466. (in persian)
15.Hordern MD, Dunstan DW, Prins JB, Baker MK, Singh MA, Coombes JS. Exercise prescription for patients with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes: a position statement from Exercise and Sport Science Australia. J Sci Med Sport. 2012; 15(1):25-31.
16.Blüher M. Adipose tissue dysfunction contributes to obesity related metabolic diseases. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 27: 163–77.
17.Skurk T, Alberti-Huber C, Herder C, Hauner H. Relationship between adipocyte size and adipokine expression and secretion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92(3): 1023-33.
18.Faramarzi M, Banitalebi E, Nori S, Farzin S, Taghavian Z.. Effects of rhythmic aerobic exercise plus core stability training on serum omentin, chemerin and vaspin levels and insulin resistance of overweight women. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2016; 56(4):476-82.
19.Wilms B, Ernst B, Gerig R, Schultes B. Plasma omentin-1 levels are related to exercise performance in obese women and increase upon aerobic endurance training. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2015; 123(3):187-92.
20.Safarzade A, Esmailpour K, Talebi-Garakani E, Fathi R. The effect of low intensity resistance training on serum omentin-1 and adiponectin concentrations in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats . Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism (ijdld). 2014; 13 (3) :235-242. (in persian)
21.Talebi-Garakani E. Fathi R, Safarzade A, Moradi H, Delbari R. The effect of 4 weeks resistance training on plasma omentin-1 concentrations in diabetic rats. Metabolism and Exercise. 2012; 2(2): 91-100. (in persian)
22.Sdralis E, Argentou M, Mead N, Kehagias I, Alexandridis T, Kalfarentzos F. A prospective randomized study comparing patients with morbid obesity submitted to sleeve gastrectomy with or without omentectomy. Obes Surg. 2013; 23(7): 965- 71.
23.Tan BK, Adya R, Farhatullah S, Lewandowski KC, O'Hare P, Lehnert H, et al. Omentin-1, a novel adipokine, is decreased in overweight insulin-resistant women with polycystic ovary syndrome: Ex vivo and in vivo regulation of omentin-1 by insulin and glucose. Diabetes. 2008; 57: 801– 808.
24.Rodríguez-Hernández H, Simental-Mendía LE, Rodríguez-Ramírez G, Reyes-Romero MA. Obesity and inflammation: epidemiology, risk factors, and markers of inflammation. Int J Endocrinol. 2013; 2013:678159.
25.Bai, Y., Sun, Q. Macrophage recruitment in obese adipose tissue. Obes Rev. 2015; 16(2):127-36.
26.Morris DL, Singer K, Lumeng CN. Adipose tissue macrophages: phenotypic plasticity and diversity in lean and obese states. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2011; 14(4):341-6.