Background: Ischemic preconditioning (IPC) has been used to improve exercise performance, but the effect of different frequency on judo performance and its role in protecting against judo exercise-induced muscle damage is still unclear.
Aims: The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of different frequency of IPC on simulated judo competition and match-induced apoptosis in judo athletes.
Methods: In a crossover study, 12 men judokas participated in this study. Each subject was randomized in four conditions: IPC in one session (low frequency), IPC in consecutive three sessions (high frequency), one non-pressure session and repeated non-pressure sessions. Three simulated competitions with an interval of 5 minutes and a special judo test (SJFT) 5 hours after last competition were performed in per session. IPC consisted of four 5-minute cycles of ischemia, followed by five minutes of perfusion. Pre and post-judo competition, blood sample were taken. One-way repeated measures ANOVA and Benferroni post-hoc test were used.
Results: The results showed that high dose IPC resulted in a significant improvement in total throws of SJFT (P≤0.05). The judo competition protocol increased serum Bax. The serum Bcl-2 was significantly higher in low and high doses of IPC than other condition (P≤0.05).
Conclusion: In conclusion, high frequency of IPC appear to have a more effect on the specific performance of judokas. frequency -independent IPC can improve apoptosis following judo competition.
- Detanico D, Dal Pupo J, Franchini E, Dos Santos SG. Effects of successive judo matches on fatigue and muscle damage markers. J Strength Con Res, 2015, 29(4):1010-16.
- Franchini E, Lira FS, Julio UF, Antunes BM, Agostinho MF, Shiroma SA, et al. Cytokine, physiological, technical–tactical and time structure responses in simulated judo competition. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2018,18:4, 595-608.
- Quadrilatero J, Alway SE, Dupont-Versteegden EE. Skeletal muscle apoptotic response to physical activity: potential mechanisms for protection. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, 2011;36(5): 608-17.
- Wang Z-B, Liu Y-Q, Cui Y-F. Pathways to caspase activation. Cell biology international 2005; 29: 489-96.
- Barnett A. Using recovery modalities between training sessions in elite athletes. Sports Med Auckl NZ. 2006; 36: 781–796.
- Wang WZ, Baynosa RC, Zamboni WA. Therapeutic interventions against reperfusion injury in skeletal muscle. J Surg Res 2011; 171(1):175–182.
- Taylor RC, Cullen SP, Martin SJ, Apoptosis: controlled demolition at the cellular level. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2008; 9(3): 231-41.
- Okubo S, Tanabe Y, Takeda K, Kitayama M, Kanemitsu S, Kukreja RC, et al. Ischemic preconditioning and morphine attenuate myocardial apoptosis and infarction after ischemia-reperfusion in rabbits: role of δ-opioid receptor. Am J Physio. 2004; 287(4):1786-91.
- Murry CE, Jennings RB, Reimer KA. Preconditioning with ischemia: a delay of lethal cell injury in ischemic myocardium. Circulation. 1986;74(5):1124-1136.
- Candilio L, Hausenloy DJ, Yellon DM. Remote ischemic conditioning: a clinical trial’s update. J Cardio vasc Pharmacol Ther. 2011; 16(3):304-12.
- Farzaneh Hesari A, Hoseini Kakhk SAR, Hamedi Nia MR. The Effects of Ischemic Preconditioning in Different Limbs on Performance in Judo Athletes. Sport Physiology. 2016; 8(32):31-48. (In Persian)
- Paradis-Deschênes P, Joanisse DR, Billaut F. Ischemic preconditioning improves time trial performance at moderate altitude. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2018; 50(3): 533-41.
- De Souza Ribeiro A, Da Silva Novaes J, Martinez D, Da Silva Telles A, Raider L, Laterza MC, et al. Acute effect of ischemic preconditioning on the performance of judo athletes. Arch Budo Sci Martial Art Extreme Sport, 2018; 14: 161-170.
- Montoye AH, Mitchinson CJ, Townsend OR, Nemmers CH, Serkaian CN, Rider BC. Ischemic preconditioning does not improve time trial performance in recreational runners. Int J Exerc Sci, 2020, 13(6): 1402-1417.
- Seeger JP, Timmers S, Ploegmakers DJ, Cable NT, Hopman MT, Thijssen DH. Is delayed ischemic preconditioning as effective on running performance during a 5 km time trial as acute IPC? J Sci Med Sport, 2017, 20(2): 208–12.
- Arriel RA, de Souza HLR, da Mota GR, Marocolo M. Declines in exercise performance are prevented 24 hours after post-exercise ischemic conditioning in amateur cyclists. PloS one, 2018; 13(11): e0207053.
- Franz A, Behringer M, Harmsen J-F, Mayer C, Krauspe R, Zilkens C, et al. Ischemic preconditioning blunts muscle damage responses induced by eccentric exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2018; 50(1):109–115.
- PageW, Swan R, Patterson SD. The effect of intermittent lower limb occlusion on recovery following exercise-induced muscle damage: A randomized controlled trial. J Sci Med Sport, 2017; 20(8):729–733.
- Halley SL, Marshall P, Siegler JC. The effect of IPC on central and peripheral fatiguing mechanisms in humans following maximal single limb isokinetic exercise. Physiol Rep, 2019, 7(8): e14063.
- Northey JM, Rattray B, Argus CK, Etxebarria N, Driller MW. Vascular occlusion and sequential compression for recovery after resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res 2016; 30(2):533–539.
- Kono Y, Fukuda S, Hanatani A, Nakanishi K, Otsuka K, Taguchi H, et al. Remote ischemic conditioning improves coronary microcirculation in healthy subjects and patients with heart failure. Drug Des Devel Ther, 2014; 8:1175–81.
- Jeffries O, Waldron M, Pattison JR, Patterson SD. Enhanced local skeletal muscle oxidative capacity and microvascular blood flow following 7-day ischemic preconditioning in healthy humans. Front Physiol, 2018; 9:463.
- Jeffries O, Evans DT, Waldron M, Coussens A, Patterson SD. Seven-day ischaemic preconditioning improves muscle efficiency during cycling. J Sports Sci, 2019:37(24):2798-2805.
- Durkalec-Michalski K, Nowaczyk PM, Główka N, Grygiel A. Dose-dependent effect of caffeine supplementation on judo-specific performance and training activity: a randomized placebo-controlled crossover trial. J Inter Soc Sports Nutr. 2019, 16:38, 34-46.
- Patterson SD, Swan R, PageW, Marocolo M, Jeffries O, Waldron M. The effect of acute and repeated ischemic preconditioning on recovery following exercise-induced muscle damage. J Scie Med Sport, 2021;24(7):709-714.
- Gardashkhani S, Farzaneh A. The Comparison of Combination of 8 Weeks of Resistance Training with Blood Flow Restriction and Traditional Resistance Training Based on Linear and Undulating Periodization on Hypertrophy, Strength, Muscular Endurance and Explosive Power in Active Girls. Sport Biosciences. 2019;11(2):209-224. (in persian).
- Sterkowicz S, Franchini E. Specific fitness of elite and novice judoists. Hum Kinet, 2001;6(1):81-98.
- Tarantino G, Scopacasa F, Colao A, Capone D, Tarantino M, Grimaldi E, et al. Serum Bcl-2 concentrations in overweight-obese subjects with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. World J Gastroenterol, 2011;17(48):5280.
- Dill DB, Costill DL. Calculation of percentage changes in volumes of blood, plasma, and red cells in dehydration. J Appl Physiol. 1974;37(2):247-248.
- Marocolo M, Simim MAM, Bernardino A, Monteiro IR, Patterson SD, da Mota GR. Ischemic preconditioning and exercise performance: shedding light through smallest worthwhile change. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2019;119(10):2123-2149.
- Cocking S, Wilson MG, Nichols D, Cable NT, Green DJ, Thijssen DH, et al. Is there an optimal ischemic-preconditioning dose to improve cycling performance? Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2018;13(3):274-282.
- Beaven CM, Cook CJ, Kilduff L, Drawer S, Gill N. Intermittent lower-limb occlusion enhances recovery after strenuous exercise. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab Physiol, 2012;37(6):1132-1139.
- Gibson N, White J, Neish M, Murray A. Effect of ischemic preconditioning on land-based sprinting in team-sport athletes. Int J Sports Physiol and Perform. 2013;8(6):671-676.
- Powers SK, Ji LL, Kavazis AN, Jackson MJ. Reactive oxygen species: impact on skeletal muscle. Compr Physiol. 2011;1(2):941.
- Wang G, Li X, Wang H, Wang Y, Zhang L, Zhang L, et al. Later phase cardioprotection of ischemic post-conditioning against ischemia/reperfusion injury depends on iNOS and PI3K-Akt pathway. Am J Transl Res. 2015;7(12):2603.
- Larsen FJ, Schiffer TA, Borniquel S, Sahlin K, Ekblom B, Lundberg JO, et al. Dietary inorganic nitrate improves mitochondrial efficiency in humans. Cell Metab. 2011;13(2):149-159.
- Sudo M, Kano Y. Myofiber apoptosis occurs in the inflammation and regeneration phase following eccentric contractions in rats. J Physiol Scie. 2009;59(6):405-412.
- Li S, Liu J, Yan H. Medium-intensity acute exhaustive exercise induces neural cell apoptosis in the rat hippocampus. Neural regen res. 2013;8(2):127.
- Sun Y, Cui D, Zhang Z, Zhang T, Shi J, Jin H, et al. Attenuated oxidative stress following acute exhaustive swimming exercise was accompanied with modified gene expression profiles of apoptosis in the skeletal muscle of mice. Oxidative med cell longevity. 2016; 8,25.
- Quadrilatero J, Bombardier E, Norris SM, Talanian JL, Palmer MS, Logan HM, et al. Prolonged moderate-intensity aerobic exercise does not alter apoptotic signaling and DNA fragmentation in human skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 2010;298(3):E534-E547.
- Cheng Z, Li L, Mo X, Zhang L, Xie Y, Guo Q, et al. Non-invasive remote limb ischemic postconditioning protects rats against focal cerebral ischemia by upregulating STAT3 and reducing apoptosis. Int J Mol Med, 2014;34(4):957-966.
- Ginis I, Jaiswal R, Klimanis D, Liu J, Greenspon J, Hallenbeck JM. TNF-α–induced tolerance to ischemic injury involves differential control of NF-κB transactivation: the role of NF-κB association with p300 adaptor. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 2002;22(2):142-152.
- Liu H, McPherson BC, Yao Z. Preconditioning attenuates apoptosis and necrosis: role of protein kinase Cε and-δ isoforms. Am J Physiol Cyrc Physiol,. 2001;281(1):404-10.