Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
PhD candidate of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of physical education, Kermanshah branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
Assistant professor, Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sports Sciences, Kermanshah branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah , Iran
Assistant professor, Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sports Sciences, Kangavar branch, Islamic Azad University, Kermanshah, Iran
The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of eight weeks Circuit Resistance Training (CRT) on some inflammatory cytokines, blood pressure and insulin resistance in pre-hypertensive obese women. For this purpose, 24 pre-hypertensive obese women (mean age: 44.73±4.43 years, body mass index: 32.39±3.8 kg/m2, systolic: 13.21±0.61 mmHg and diastolic: 8.65±0.33 mmHg blood pressure levels), were conveniently selected and randomly divided into CRT training (n=12) and Control (n=12) groups. The intervention consisted of 8 weeks of circuit resistance training, with a frequency of 3 sessions per week, and each session lasted 50 to 60 minutes (15 minutes of warm-up, 30 minutes of weight training, and 10 minutes of cooling). Resistance trainings were performed with an intensity of 40% 1RM for upper body and 60% 1RM for lower body movements. Measurements and blood sampling were done pre and post 8 weeks of training. Data were analyzed using Shapiro-Wilks and analysis of variance with a 2×2 design at a significance level of p˂0.05. The results showed that 8 weeks of CRT have significant effects on body fat percent (p=0.007), Waist to Hip Ratio (p=0.017), systolic (p<0.0005) and diastolic (p=0.016) blood pressure and insulin resistance (p=0.043). However, it was not significant in the inflammatory cytokines IL-1β and TNF-α (P ≤ 0.05). The reason could be the type of exercise selected. Depending on the intensity, frequency and duration of the training, they can affect the levels of inflammatory cytokines to a different extent.
- World health organization. Obesity and overweight. What are overweight and obesity? Retrieved 12 September, 2010 from. 2008a.
- Vasan RS LM, Leip EP, Kannel WB, Levy D.Lancet . Assessment of frequency of progression to hypertension in nonhypertensive participants in the Framingham Heart Study: a cohort study. . 2001:;358(9294):1682-6.
- Pascal Meier FHM, Andreas Baumbach and Alexandra J Lansky. Pre-hypertension: another ‘pseudodisease’? BMC Medicine 2013;11:211.
- Droyvold WB MK, Nilsen TI, Holmen J. . Change in body mass index and its impact on blood pressure: a prospective population study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2005;29(650-655).
- Nobili V MM, Devito R. NAFLD in children: a prospective clinical-pathological study and effect of lifestyle advise Hepatology (Baltimore, Md). 2006;42(2):458-65.
- Marginean CO, Melit LE, Hutanu A, Ghiga DV, Sasaran MO. The adipokines and inflammatory status in the era of pediatric obesity. Cytokine. 2020;126:154925.
- Seravalle G, Grassi G. Obesity and hypertension. Pharmacological research. 2017;122:1-7.
- Britton KA FC. Perivascular adipose tissue and vascular disease. Clin Lipidol. 2011;6:79-91.
- Aroor AR ea. The role of tissue renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in the development of endothelial dysfunction and arterial stiffness. Front Endocrinol. 2013;4:161.
- Akasheh RT PJ, York JM, Fantuzzi G. New pathways to control inflammatory responses in adipose tissue. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2013;13:613–7.
- Jean-Luc Cracowski FC, José Labarère, Patrice Faure, Bruno Degano. Proinflammatory cytokine levels are linked to death in pulmonary arterial hypertension. European Respiratory Journal 2014 43:915-7.
- Tilg H MA. Inflammatory mechanisms in the regulation of insulin resistance. Mol Med. 2008;14:222-31.
- Ramseyer VD GJ. Tumor necrosis factor α: regulation of renal function and blood pressure. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;304::F1231.
- Saulnier P-J GE, Ducrocq G, et al. Surdiagene Study Group Association of serum concentration of TNFR1 with all-cause mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease: follow-up of the SURDIAGENE cohort. Diabetes Care. 2014;37:1425-31.
- Seyed Reza Mirhafeza, Mohsen Mohebati, , Mahboobeh Feiz Disfani, et al. An imbalance in serum concentrations of inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in hypertension. American Society of Hypertension. 2014;8(9):614-23.
- Amit V. Jaiswal AHK, Sambhaji B. Gunjal, Prerna M. Tawde, Aashirwad A. Mahajan,Subhash M. Khatri. Effectiveness of Interval Training Versus Circuit Training Exercises on Blood Pressure, Heart Rate and Rate of Perceived Exertion in Individuals with Prehypertension. International journal of health sience and research. 2015;5(10):148-56.
- Ferreira FC, Bertucci DR, Barbosa MR, Nunes JE, Botero JP, Rodrigues MF, et al. Circuit resistance training in women with normal weight obesity syndrome: body composition, cardiometabolic and echocardiographic parameters, and cardiovascular and skeletal muscle fitness. The Journal of sports medicine and physical fitness. 2017;57(7-8):1033-44.
- Wilmore JH, Parr RB, Ward P, Vodak PA, Barstow TJ, Pipes TV, et al. Energy cost of circuit weight training. Medicine and science in sports. 1978;10(2):75-8.
- Allyson K. Getty TRW, Lauren N. Chavis ,et al. Effects of circuit exercise training on vascular health and blood pressure. Preventive medicine reports. 2018;10:106-12.
- Kolahdouzi SB, M. Kani-Golzar, F. A. Saeidi, A. Jabbour, G. et al. Progressive circuit resistance training improves inflammatory biomarkers and insulin resistance in obese men. Physiology & behavior. 2019;205:15-21.
- Brzycki M. Strength testing-predicting a one-rep max from reps-to-fatigue. Joperd. 1993;68:88-90.
- Williams MA HW, Ades PA, Amsterdam EA, Bittner V, Franklin BA,Gulanick M, Laing ST, Stewart KJ. Resistance exercise in individuals with and without cardiovascular disease: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on clinical cardiology and council on nutrition, physical activity, and metabolism. Circulation. 2007;116:572-84.
- Heffernan KS YE, Sharman JE, Davies JE, Shih YT, Chen CH, Fernhall B, Jae SY. Resistance exercise training reduces arterial reservoir pressure in older adults with prehypertension and hypertension. Hypertens Res 2013;36(5):422-7.
- American heart association. Heart disease and stroke statistics-2009 Update. A report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation. 2009;119:e21-e181.
- Omorede E Osayande GNA, Emmanuel O Obuzor. A comparative study of different body fat measuring instruments. Niger J Physiol Sci. 2018;30(2):125-8.
- Brzycki M. A Practical Approach To Strength Training. McGraw-Hill ISBN 978-1-57028-018-4. 1998.
- Salvand GH NM, Shakerian S. The effect of 12 weeks of circuit resistance training course on some of the inflammatory factors in obese non-alcoholic fatty liver men. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences 2019;27(1):1128-40 (in persian).
- Fabiano Candido Ferreira AIdM, Cristiane Nicioli. Circuit resistance training in sedentary women: body composition and serum cytokine levels. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009;35:163-71.
- Vikram NL, AN. Misra,A. et al. Waist-to-Height Ratio Compared to Standard Obesity Measures as Predictor of Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Asian Indians in North India. Metabolic syndrome and disorders. 2016;14(10):1-9.
- Rosety I, Pery MT, Rosety J, Garcia N, Rodriguez-Pareja MA, Brenes-Martin F, et al. [Circuit resistance training improved endothelial dysfunction in obese aged women]. Nutricion hospitalaria. 2016;33(1):17.
- Marcos-Pardo PJO-C, F. J.Gea-Garcia, G. M.Menayo-Antunez, R.Gonzalez-Galvez, N. Vale, R. G. S. Martinez-Rodriguez, A. Effects of a moderate-to-high intensity resistance circuit training on fat mass, functional capacity, muscular strength, and quality of life in elderly: A randomized controlled trial. Scientific reports. 2019;9(1):7830.
- Lynnette M. Jones .Lee Stoner J Chris Baldi BM. Circuit resistance training and cardiovascular health in breast cancer survivors. European journal of cancer care. 2020;00:e13231.
- Soori R KN, Rezaeian N, Montazeri H. Effects of Resistance and Endurance Training on Coronary Heart Disease Biomarker in Sedentary Obese Women. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011;13(2):179-228 (in persian).
- Arazi H, Taati B, Kheirkhah J, Ramezanpour S. Changes in pain following an interaction period of resistance training and green tea extract consumption in sedentary hypertensive women: impact of blood pressure swings. Journal of health, population, and nutrition. 2019;38(1):30.
- N. Behpour FM, V. Tadibi. Effect of Eight Weeks Resistance Training with Citrulline-Malate Supplementation on Blood Pressure, Serum Nitric Oxide and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor in Resting Serum and Response to Physical Activity in Postmenopausal Women with Prehypertension. Sport Physiology. 2020;11(44):55-72 (In persian).
- Daryanoosh F AN, Sherafati Moghadam M, Dadvand S. The Effect of Resistance Training on Serum Cardiotrophin-1 Levels, Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Elderly Women. Biannual JAHSSP. 2016;3(2):11-6.
- Kawano h tm, yamamoto k, sanda k, candoy. Resistance training in men is associated with blood pressure. Experimental physiology. 2008;93(2):269-302.
- Greqoski m bv, tinqen m, harshfield g. Breathing awareness meditation and life skill training programs on blood pressure. J adolescent health. 2011;48(1):59-64.
- Afshoun Pour M HA, Ranjbar R. The Impact of Circuit Resistance Exercise Training on Metabolic Parameters in Type 2 Diabetics Men Jundishapur Sci Med J 2016;15(2):125-38 (in persian).
- Dianatinasab A KR, Bahramian M, Bagheri-Hosseinabadi Z, Vaismoradi M, Fararouei M ,Amanat S. The effects of aerobic, resistance, and combined exercises on the plasma irisin levels, HOMA-IR, and lipid profiles in women with metabolic syndrome: A randomized controlled trial. journal ofof Exercise Science & Fitness 2020;18:168-76.
- Dunstan DW DR, Owen N, Jolley D, De Courten M, Shaw J, Zimmet P. High intensity resistance training improves glycemic control in older patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002;25:1729-39.
- Molanouri Shamsi M AH, Amani Shalamzari S, Aghayari A, Asghari Jafarabadi M, Talebi Badrabadi K. . Anti-inflammatory effects of a bout of circuit resistance exercise with moderateintensity in inactive obese males. J Shahid Sadoughi Univ Med Sci. 2011;19(5):598-609.
- Kermani Sajad AR, Moradi Lida The effect of eight weeks of resistance training on adropin plasma level and insulin resistance index in overweight men. Journal of sport and exercise physiology. 2021;14(1):31-7.
- Holten MK ZM, Gaster M, Juel C, Wojtaszewski JF, Dela F. Strength training increases insulin-mediated glucose uptake, GLUT4 content, and insulin signaling in skeletal muscle in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;53(2):294-305.
- Kjølhede T DU, Gade AB, Bjerre M, Stenager E, Petersen T, Vissing K. Acute and chronic cytokine responses to resistance exercise and training in people with multiple sclerosis. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2016 26(7):824-34.
- Ulrik Dalgas ES, Thor Petersen,T. Kjolhede A. Gade M. Bjerre. Acute and chronic cytokine responses to resistance exercise and training in people with multiple sclerosis. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. 2015;26(7):824-34.
- Karstoft K PB. Exercise and type 2 diabetes: focus on metabolism and inflammation. Immunol Cell Biol. 2016 94(2):146-50.
- Soheili Sh YhaE, Shakeri N. The effects of endurance and resistance training on IL-6 and TNF-α young women with overweight. Journal of sport biosiences. 2016;8(2):263-76 (in persian).
- Goldhammer E TA, Maor I, Beniamini Y, Rosenschein U and Sagiv M. "Exercise training modulates cytokines activity in coronary heart disease patients". Int J Cardiol. 2005;100(1):93-9.
- Rezaei Nasab H RR, Habibi AH, Afshoon poor MT. The effect of 8 weeks of combined training (aerobic- circuit resistance) on visfatin concentration, IL-6 and TNF-a in obese men. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism. 2017;17(1):39-48 ( in persian).
- Tolouei Azar J SF, Khalafi M. The effects of eight weeks of resistance training on serum levels IL-15, IL-6, TNF-α and insulin resistance in older type 2 diabetic men. journal of sport biosiences. 2018;12(4):391-406.
- Ferreira FC, de Medeiros AI, Nicioli C, Nunes JE, Shiguemoto GE, Prestes J, et al. Circuit resistance training in sedentary women: body composition and serum cytokine levels. Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism = Physiologie appliquee, nutrition et metabolisme. 2010;35(2):163-71.
- Ogawa K SK, Machida S, Okutsu M, Suzuki K. "Resistance Exercise Training-Induced Muscle Hypertrophy Was Associated with Reduction of Inflammatory Markers in Elderly Women". Mediators Inflamm. 2010;171023.
- Yudkin J. Inflammation, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome. Horm Metab Res. 2007;39:707–9.
- Zehsaz F FN, Mirheidari L. The effect of training on CXL5, tumor necrosis factor α and insulin resistance index (HOMA-IR) in sedentary obese women. Central-European Journal ofImmunology 2014;39(3):365.
- Gray SR KT. The effect of exercise induced cytokines on insulin stimulated glucose transport in C2C12 cells. Cytokine. 2011;55(2):221-8.