Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
1 Master of science, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences. Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
2 Professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences. Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
3 Associated professor, Faculty of physical education and sport sciences. Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
Many mediating factors, including chemerin, play a role in the process of the effect of sport activities on obesity. In this study, the effect of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on serum Chemerin levels and insulin resistance index of obese young men was investigated. For this purpose, 20 obese young men voluntarily participated in the study and were randomly divided into two experimental (n = 10, age: 19.91 ± 4.71 years, height: 179.51 ± 12.21 cm, weight: 98.40 ± 10.40 kg) and control (n = 10, age: 19.22 ± 2.24 years, height: 180.01 ± 10.05 cm, weight 98.90 ± 11.60 kg) groups. The training group performed 4 sessions of HIIT per week and for 6 weeks. Blood samples were taken from subjects, pre and post six weeks of HIIT. Data analysis using independent t-test and paired t-test showed that the subjects' body weight, serum Chemerin, Insulin and Glucose levels and, insulin resistance index in training group were significantly reduced (p < 0.05) compared to the pre-training and control group. The changes observed in serum Chemerin levels and insulin resistance index appear to have been due to weight loss, and it is suggested that HITT can be used as a new training program in obese individuals for weight lost.
- Eckel RH, York DA, Rossner S, Hubbard V, Caterson I, St Jeor ST, Hayman LL, Mullis RM, Blair SN; American Heart Association. Prevention Conference VII: obesity, a worldwide epidemic related to heart disease and stroke: executive summary. Circulation. 2004; 110: 2968-2975.
- Steinberg GR, Smith AC, Wormald S, Malenfant P, Collier C, Dyck DJ. Endurance training partially reverses dietary-induced leptin resistance in rodent skeletal muscle. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism. 2004;286(1):E57-E63.
- Larissa R, Donaldson C. Economics and obesity costing the problem or evaluating solutions. Obesity Research. 2004; 12:173–179.
- Bianchini F, Kaaks R, Vainio H. Overweight, obesity, and cancer risk. Lancet Oncol 2002;3(9):565-74.
- Boucher J, Masri B, Daviaud D, Gesta S, Guigné C, Mazzucotelli A, Castan-Laurell I, Tack I, Knibiehler B, Carpéné C, Audigier Y, Saulnier-Blache JS, Valet P. Apelin, a newly identified adipokine up-regulated by insulin and Endocrinology 2005; 146: 1764–1771.
- Wang LY, Wei L, Yu HY, Zhang Y, Jia WP. Relationship of serum Chemerin to obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Zhonghua Yi XueZa Zhi 2009; 89: 235-238.
- Bozaoglu K, Bolton K, McMillan J, Zimmet P, Jowett J, Collier G, et al. Chemerin is a novel adipokine associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome. Endocrinology 2007; 148:4687-94.
- Ernst MC, Sinal CJ. Chemerin: at the crossroad of inflammation and obesity. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2010; 21: 660-667.
- Osman MM, Abd El-mageedAI, El-hadidiE, Shahin R, Mageed N. Clinical Utility of Serum Chemerin as a Novel Marker of Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Life Science Journal 2012; 9: 1098- 1108.
- Kaur J, Adya R, Tan BK, et al. Identification chemerin receptor (ChemR23) in human endothelial cells: Chemerin-induced endothelial angiogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2010; 391: 1762-1768.
- Dray C, Knauf C, Daviaud D, Waget A, Boucher J, Buléon M, et al. Apelin stimulates glucose utilization in normal and obese insulin-resistant mice. Cell Metabolism. 2008;8(5):437-445.
- Rourke, J. L., H. J. Dranse, and C. J. Sinal. "Towards an integrative approach to understanding the role of chemerin in human health and disease."Obesity Reviews 3 (2013): 245-262.
- Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Krieg PA, Cox CM, Robins A, Baile CA. A putative role for apelin in the etiology of obesity. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2008;368(3):815-819.
- Wittamer, V. et al. Specific recruitment of antigenpresenting cells by chemerin, a novel processed ligand from human inflammatory fluids. J. Exp. Med. 2003; 198: 977–985.
- Abbas Saremi, Nader Shavandi, Mohammad Parastesh, Hassan Daneshmand. Twelve-Week Aerobic Training Decreases Chemerin Level and Improves Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in Overweight and Obese men. Asian Journal of Sports Medicine. 2010, Vol 1 (No 3): 151-158.
- Sell, Henrike, et al. "Chemerin is a novel adipocyte-derived factor inducing insulin resistance in primary human skeletal muscle cells."Diabetes 2009; 58.12: 2731-2740.
- Abbas Saremi, Mohamadfazel Moslehabady, Mohammad Parastesh. . Twelve-Week Resistance Training on Chemerin , TNF-α and CRP Level in Metabolic Syndrome Individuals. Iranian endocrinology and metabolism journal. 1389; 12.5:536-543. ( In Persian).
- Roya Askari, Aliasghar Ravasi, Abasali Gaieny, Mehdi Hedayati, Mohamadreza Hamedinia.The effect of combined training on some adipocin and Insoline sensitivity index on Overweight females. Sport and biomecani science journal. 1390; 3.1 : 25-37. (In Persian).
- Stefanov, Tsvetan, et al. Circulating chemerin decreases in response to a combined strength and endurance training. The Journal of 2014;45.3: 382-391.
- Hashem Khodadadi, Hamid Rajabi, Seyedreza Atarzadeh, Sadegh Abasian. The effect of High Intensity Interval Physical Activity and Pilats on serum Airesin level and Insoline Resistance on Overweight Females. Iranian endocrinology and metabolism journal. 1393; 16.3:190-196. (In Persian).
- Tjonna, A. Stolen, T. Bye, A. Volden, M., Slordahl, S., Odegard, R., Skogvoll, E., and Wisloff, U. Aerobic interval training reduces cardiovascular risk factors more than a multitreatment approach in overweight adolescents. Clinical Science, 2009;116:317-326.
- Burgomaster, K.A., Howarth, K. R., Phillips, S. M., Rakobowchuk, M., MacDonald, M. J., McGee, S. L., and Gibala, M. J. Similar metabolic adaptations during exercise after low volume sprint interval and traditional endurance training in humans. The Journal of Physiology, 2008; 586(1):151-160.
- Dumortier M, Brandou F, Perez-Martin A, Fedou C, Mercier J and Brun JF. Low intensity endurance exercise targeted for lipid oxidation improves body composition and insulin sensitivity in patients with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Metab, 2003; 29:509-518.
- Perseghin G, Price TB, Petersen KF, Roden M, Cline GW, Gerow K, et al. Increased glucose transport-phosphorylation and muscle glycogen synthesis after exercise training in insulin-resistant subjects. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:1357-62.
- Holten MK, Zacho M, Gaster M, Juel C, Wojtaszewski JF and Dela F. Strength training increases insulin-mediated glucose uptake, GLUT4 content, and insulin signaling in skeletal muscle in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2004; 53(2):294-305.
- Schultz, Stephan, and Annette G. Beck‐ "Chemerin and vaspin: possible targets to treat obesity?."ChemMedChem 8.4 (2013): 549-559.
- Rima Chakaroun, Matthias Raschpichler, Nora Klöting, Andreas Oberbach, Gesine Flehmig, Matthias Kern, et al. Effects of weight loss and exercise on chemerin serum concentrations and adipose tissue expression in human obesity. Metabolism clinical and experimental. 2012; 61:706–714
- Malin, S. K., et al. "Exercise-induced lowering of chemerin is associated with reduced cardiometabolic risk and glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in older adults."The journal of nutrition, health & aging. 2014; 186: 608-615.
- Bozaoglu K, Segal D, Shields KA, et al. Chemerin is associated with metabolic syndrome phenotypes in a Mexican-American population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94:3085-8.
- Esposit K, Nappo F, Giugliano F, Di Palo C, Ciotola M, Barbieri M, et al. Meal modulation of circulating interleukin 18 and adiponectin concentrations in healthy subjects and in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78:1135-40.