Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
1 Department of Physical Education, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tabriz, Iran.
2 Corresponding Author, Department of Physical Education, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tabriz, Iran.
3 Department of Sport Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University, Tabriz, Iran.
Oxidative stress induced renal injures are intensified following myocardial infraction(MI) which are accompanied by an elevated NOX4 expression rate. However; the effect of exercise training following MI on blood Nox4 and renal oxidative stress markers have not investigated in spite of the apparent evidence regarding the effects of physical training on renal structure and function, which was investigated in this study.
24 male Wistar rats were randomized into three groups (n=8) of healthy control, MI control and MI training. Eight weeks of running training at moderate intensity on a treadmill was conducted following MI induction via two executive days’ injections of Isoproterenol (100 mg/kg.day). while renal MDA, cabonylated protein(CP) and 8OHdG levels via spectrophotometry and colorimetery
While blood NOx4 as well as renal MDA, CP and 8OHdG levels in MI control rats were higher than their healthy control littermates, the amount of these parameters (except for CP) in MI group was lower than healthy control group (p=0.001 in any circumstances). However, all indices including on blood NOX4 (p=0.029) and renal MDA(p=0.001), CP(p=0.001) and 8OHdG(p=0.019) levels in MI training rats was still higher than healthy control littermates.
MI is able to increase blood NOX4 level and incidence of renal oxidative stress. However, aerobic training could not fully ameliorate these hazardous effects of MI, in spite of its appreciable capabilities to reverse this trend. It seems that identification of the best effective training protocols in this area is warranted in addition to Eliminating the limitations in this study.
- Dong Z, Gong K, Huang D, Zhu W, Sun W, Zhang Y, et al. Myocardial infarction accelerates glomerular injury and microalbuminuria in diabetic rats via local hemodynamics and immunity. International journal of cardiology. 2015;179:397-408.
- Vavalle JP, van Diepen S, Clare RM, Hochman JS, Weaver WD, Mehta RH, et al. Renal failure in patients with ST-segment elevation acute myocardial infarction treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention: Predictors, clinical and angiographic features, and outcomes. American heart journal. 2016;173:57-66.
- Parikh CR, Coca SG, Wang Y, Masoudi FA, Krumholz HM. Long-term prognosis of acute kidney injury after acute myocardial infarction. Archives of internal medicine. 2008;168(9):987-95.
- van Dokkum RP, Eijkelkamp WB, Kluppel AC, Henning RH, van Goor H, Citgez M, et al. Myocardial infarction enhances progressive renal damage in an experimental model for cardio-renal interaction. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2004;15(12):3103-10.
- Liu YH, Liu Y, Tan N, Chen J-y, Chen J, Chen S-h, et al. Predictive value of GRACE risk scores for contrast-induced acute kidney injury in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction before undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. International urology and nephrology. 2014;46(2):417-26.
- Kaltsas E, Chalikias G, Tziakas D. The incidence and the prognostic impact of acute kidney injury in acute myocardial infarction patients: current preventive strategies. Cardiovascular drugs and therapy. 2018;32(1):81-98.
- Caio-Silva W, da Silva Dias D, Junho CVC, Panico K, Neres-Santos RS, Pelegrino MT, et al. Characterization of the Oxidative Stress in Renal Ischemia/Reperfusion-Induced Cardiorenal Syndrome Type 3. BioMed Research International. 2020;2020.
- Gorin Y, Cavaglieri RC, Khazim K, Lee D-Y, Bruno F, Thakur S, et al. Targeting NADPH oxidase with a novel dual Nox1/Nox4 inhibitor attenuates renal pathology in type 1 diabetes. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology. 2015;308(11):F1276-F87.
- Li MS, Adesina SE, Ellis CL, Gooch JL, Hoover RS, Williams CR. NADPH oxidase-2 mediates zinc deficiency-induced oxidative stress and kidney damage. American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology. 2017;312(1):C47-C55.
- Geiszt M, Kopp JB, Várnai P, Leto TL. Identification of renox, an NAD (P) H oxidase in kidney. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2000;97(14):8010-4.
- Bedard K, Krause K-H. The NOX family of ROS-generating NADPH oxidases: physiology and pathophysiology. Physiological reviews. 2007;87(1):245-313.
- Babelova A, Avaniadi D, Jung O, Fork C, Beckmann J, Kosowski J, et al. Role of Nox4 in murine models of kidney disease. Free radical biology & medicine. 2012;53(4):842-53.
- Rajaram RD, Dissard R, Jaquet V, de Seigneux S. Potential benefits and harms of NADPH oxidase type 4 in the kidneys and cardiovascular system. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2018;34(4):567-76.
- Cucoranu I, Clempus R, Dikalova A, Phelan PJ, Ariyan S, Dikalov S, et al. NAD(P)H oxidase 4 mediates transforming growth factor-beta1-induced differentiation of cardiac fibroblasts into myofibroblasts. Circulation research. 2005;97(9):900-7.
- Ghartavol MM, Gholizadeh‐Ghaleh Aziz S, Babaei G, Hossein Farjah G, Hassan Khadem Ansari M. The protective impact of betaine on the tissue structure and renal function in isoproterenol‐induced myocardial infarction in rat. Molecular Genetics & Genomic Medicine. 2019;7(4):e00579.
- Santos CX, Hafstad AD, Beretta M, Zhang M, Molenaar C, Kopec J, et al. Targeted redox inhibition of protein phosphatase 1 by Nox4 regulates eIF2α-mediated stress signaling. The EMBO journal. 2016;35(3):319-34.
- Braunersreuther V, Montecucco F, Asrih M, Pelli G, Galan K, Frias M, et al. Role of NADPH oxidase isoforms NOX1, NOX2 and NOX4 in myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology. 2013;64:99-107.
- Wallert M, Ziegler M, Wang X, Maluenda A, Xu X, Yap ML, et al. α-Tocopherol preserves cardiac function by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in ischemia/reperfusion injury. Redox biology. 2019;26:101292.
- Ighodaro O, Akinloye O. First line defence antioxidants-superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX): Their fundamental role in the entire antioxidant defence grid. Alexandria Journal of Medicine. 2018;54(4):287-93.
- Goli F, Nasri H. Association of 8-hydroxy-2’-deoxyguanosine with various demographic and biochemical parameter in a group of hemodialysis patients. Journal of Preventive Epidemiology. 2020;5(1):e06-e.
- Colombo G, Reggiani F, Angelini C, Finazzi S, Astori E, Garavaglia ML, et al. Plasma Protein Carbonyls as Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress in Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, and Transplantation. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2020;2020.
- Xing Y, Yang S-D, Wang M-M, Feng Y-S, Dong F, Zhang F. The beneficial role of exercise training for myocardial infarction treatment in elderly. Frontiers in physiology. 2020;11:270.
- Trachsel LD, David LP, Gayda M, Henri C, Hayami D, Thorin‐Trescases N, et al. The impact of high‐intensity interval training on ventricular remodeling in patients with a recent acute myocardial infarction—A randomized training intervention pilot study. Clinical cardiology. 2019;42(12):1222-31.
- Dadashzadeh A, Poozesh Jadidi R. Effect of HIIT and curcumin consumption on serum troponin I and creatine kinase levels in isopretrenol-treated male mice %J Journal of Applied Health Studies in Sport Physiology. 2021;8(1):44-53.
- Jayo-Montoya JA, Maldonado-Martín S, Aispuru GR, Gorostegi-Anduaga I, Gallardo-Lobo R, Matajira-Chia T, et al. Low-Volume High-Intensity Aerobic Interval Training Is an Efficient Method to Improve Cardiorespiratory Fitness After Myocardial Infarction: PILOT STUDY FROM THE INTERFARCT PROJECT. Journal of cardiopulmonary rehabilitation and prevention. 2020;40(1):48-54.
- Wu F, Li Z, Cai M, Xi Y, Xu Z, Zhang Z, et al. Aerobic exercise alleviates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in kidneys of myocardial infarction mice by inhibiting ALCAT1 and activating FNDC5/Irisin signaling pathway. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2020;158:171-80.
- Batista DF, Polegato BF, Da Silva RC, Claro RT, Azevedo PS, Fernandes AA, et al. Impact of Modality and Intensity of Early Exercise Training on Ventricular Remodeling after Myocardial Infarction. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2020;2020.
- Guo Y, Chen J, Qiu H. Novel mechanisms of exercise-induced cardioprotective factors in myocardial infarction. Frontiers in physiology. 2020;11:199.
- Moieni A, Hosseini SA. Effect of Resistance Training Combined with Curcumin Supplementation on Expression of Regulatory Genes Related to Myocardial Remodeling in Obese Rats. Journal of Applied Health Studies in Sport Physiology. 2020;7(2):45-52.
- Souza LM, Okoshi MP, Gomes MJ, Gatto M, Rodrigues EA, Pontes TH, et al. Effects of Late Aerobic Exercise on Cardiac Remodeling of Rats with Small-Sized Myocardial Infarction. Arquivos brasileiros de cardiologia. 2021;116(4):784-92.
- Geng YW, Lin QQ, Wang XY, Li RM, Tian ZJ. Effects of aerobic interval training on myocardial oxidative stress and inflammation in rats with myocardial infarction and its mechanism. Chinese journal of applied physiology. 2021;37(4):439-44.
- Gomes MJ, Pagan LU, Lima AR, Reyes DR, Martinez PF, Damatto FC, et al. Effects of aerobic and resistance exercise on cardiac remodelling and skeletal muscle oxidative stress of infarcted rats. Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. 2020;24(9):5352.
- Qin R, Murakoshi N, Xu D, Tajiri K, Feng D, Stujanna EN, et al. Exercise training reduces ventricular arrhythmias through restoring calcium handling and sympathetic tone in myocardial infarction mice. Physiological Reports. 2019;7(4).
- Pouzesh Jadidi G, Seifi-Skishahr F, Bolboli L, Azali Alamdari K, Pourrahim Ghouroghch A. Effect of high intensity interval training and curcumin supplementation on left ventriclular miR-133 and miR-1 gene expression levels in isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction rat model %J Journal of Practical Studies of Biosciences in Sport. 2021:sep 13.
- Tofighi A, Ebrahimi Kalan A, Jamali Qarakhanlou B. The effect of resveratrol supplementation and aerobic training on cardiac tissue alteration of rats with acute myocardial infarction. Iranian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 2018;1(4):221-11.
- Khafaga AF, Noreldin AE, Taha AEJJotb. The adaptogenic anti-ageing potential of resveratrol against heat stress-mediated liver injury in aged rats: Role of HSP70 and NF-kB signalling. 2019;83:8-21.
- Randjelovic P, Veljkovic S, Stojiljkovic N, Velickovic L, Sokolovic D, Stoiljkovic M, et al. Protective Effect of Selenium on Gentamicin-Induced Oxidative Stress and Nephrotoxicity in Rats. 2012;35(2):141-8.
- Kim J, Shon E, Kim C-S, Kim JSJEDR. Renal Podocyte Injury in a Rat Model of Type 2 Diabetes Is Prevented by Metformin. 2012;2012.
- Gholinezhad M, Aliarab A, Abbaszadeh-Goudarzi G, Yousefnia-Pasha Y, Samadaian N, Rasolpour-Roshan K, et al. Nitric oxide, 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, and total antioxidant capacity in human seminal plasma of infertile men and their relationship with sperm parameters. Clinical and experimental reproductive medicine. 2020;47(1):54.
- Zhang W-K, Zhang LJJoHMU. Correlation of SOD-Mn gene polymorphism with renal function and oxidative injury in patients with diabetic nephropathy. 2018;24(14):13-7.
- Mongue-Din H, Patel AS, Looi YH, Grieve DJ, Anilkumar N, Sirker A, et al. NADPH Oxidase-4 Driven Cardiac Macrophage Polarization Protects Against Myocardial Infarction-Induced Remodeling. JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2017;2(6):688-98.
- Wen Z, Mai Z, Zhu X, Chen Y, Geng D, Wang JJRf. Comparison of renal impairment post-myocardial infarction with reduced and preserved left ventricular function in rats with normal renal function. 2020;42(1):358-68.
- Chen F, Haigh S, Barman SA, Fulton D. From form to function: the role of Nox4 in the cardiovascular system. Frontiers in physiology. 2012;3:412.
- Morawietz H. c. Cardiovascular protection by Nox4. Cardiovascular research 114.3 (2018): 353-355.
- Zhang M, Brewer AC, Schröder K, Santos CXC, Grieve DJ, Wang M, et al. NADPH oxidase-4 mediates protection against chronic load-induced stress in mouse hearts by enhancing angiogenesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2010;107(42):18121-6.
- Richards AM, Nicholls MG, Troughton Richard W, Lainchbury John G, Elliott J, Frampton C, et al. Antecedent hypertension and heart failure after myocardial infarction. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2002;39(7):1182-8.
- Ray R, Murdoch CE, Wang M, Santos CX, Zhang M, Alom-Ruiz S, et al. Endothelial Nox4 NADPH oxidase enhances vasodilatation and reduces blood pressure in vivo. 2011;31(6):1368-76.
- Kargarfard M, Rouzbehani R, Basati FJIjopm. Effects of exercise rehabilitation on blood pressure of patients after myocardial infarction. 2010;1(2):124.
- Gonzalez‐Vicente A, Saikumar JH, Massey KJ, Hong NJ, Dominici FP, Carretero OA, et al. Angiotensin II stimulates superoxide production by nitric oxide synthase in thick ascending limbs. Physiological reports. 2016;4(4):e12697.
- Nio Y, Matsubara H, Murasawa S, Kanasaki M, Inada M. Regulation of gene transcription of angiotensin II receptor subtypes in myocardial infarction. J Clin Invest. 1995;95(1):46-54.
- Che G, Gao H, Hu Q, Xie H, Zhang Y. Angiotensin II promotes podocyte injury by activating Arf6-Erk1/2-Nox4 signaling pathway. PLoS ONE. 2020;15(3).
- Nlandu Khodo S, Dizin E, Sossauer G, Szanto I, Martin PY, Feraille E, et al. NADPH-oxidase 4 protects against kidney fibrosis during chronic renal injury. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology : JASN. 2012;23(12):1967-76.
- Wright RS, Reeder GS, Herzog CA, Albright RC, Williams BA, Dvorak DL, et al. Acute myocardial infarction and renal dysfunction: a high-risk combination. 2002;137(7):563-70.
- Aydin C, Ince E, Koparan S, Cangul IT, Naziroglu M, Ak F. Protective effects of long term dietary restriction on swimming exercise-induced oxidative stress in the liver, heart and kidney of rat. 2007;25(2):129-37.
- Ranjbar K, Nazem F, Sabrinezhad R, Nazari AJIhj. Aerobic training and L-arginine supplement attenuates myocardial infarction-induced kidney and liver injury in rats via reduced oxidative stress. 2018;70(4):538-43.
- Najafi H, Changizi Ashtiyani S, Sayedzadeh SA, Mohamadi Yarijani Z, Fakhri S. Therapeutic effects of curcumin on the functional disturbances and oxidative stress induced by renal ischemia/reperfusion in rats. Avicenna journal of phytomedicine. 2015;5(6):576-86.
- Fatahi B, Habibian MJPR. Effect of Aerobic Exercise on Renal Angiotensin-II and Angiotensin Type 1 Receptor Levels in Administered Rats with Nano Zinc Oxide. 2018;21(1):29-34.