Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
Master of Sports Physiology, Islamic Azad University, Mahallat Branch, Mahallat, Iran 2. Professor
. Professor, Department of Physical Education, Mahallat Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mahallat, Iran
Instructor, Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, Faculty of Sports Sciences, Arak University, Arak, Iran
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of circular resistance training on serum peptin levels and insulin resistance index in men with type 2 diabetes. The present study is quasi-experimental. The statistical sample of this study consisted of 20 men with type 2 diabetes with mean and standard deviation of age 39.1 3 3.25 years, height 173.8 85 4.85 cm weight 80 ± 12.89 kg which were randomly divided into two groups of 12 people. Experimental and control were divided. Experiments in the experimental group performed 8 weeks of circular resistance training three sessions per week with an intensity of 50 to 80% of a maximum repetition. Before and after 8 weeks of exercise, serum levels of peptin, insulin resistance index, fasting glucose and insulin were measured. Correlated t-test and independent t-test were used to examine intragroup changes. Intragroup changes showed that 8 weeks of circular resistance training significantly reduced levels of peptin, insulin resistance index, fasting glucose and insulin (P = 0.0001) compared to the diabetic control group. Also, in the comparison between groups, circular resistance training caused a significant decrease in levels of peptin, insulin resistance index, fasting glucose (P = 0.0001) and insulin (P = 0.001) compared to the diabetic control group. The findings of this study showed that circular resistance training reduces levels of peptin, insulin resistance index, fasting glucose and insulin in people with type 2 diabetes. Therefore, it seems that this type of exercise can be useful for type 2 diabetics.
- LeRoith D, Taylor SI, Olefsky JM. Diabetes mellitus: a fundamental and clinical text: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2004.
- Shi G-J, Shi G-R, Zhou J-y, Zhang W-j, Gao C-y, Jiang Y-p, et al. Involvement of growth factors in diabetes mellitus and its complications: a general review. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018;101:510-27.
- Shi G-J, Zheng J, Wu J, Qiao H-Q, Chang Q, Niu Y, et al. Beneficial effects of Lycium barbarum polysaccharide on spermatogenesis by improving antioxidant activity and inhibiting apoptosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic male mice. Food & function. 2017;8(3):1215-26.
- Yarmohammadi M, Behboudi L, Eizadi M. Effect of Aerobic Training on Glucose-6-phosphatase Expression in the Liver Hepatocytes and Fasting Glucose in Type II Diabetic Rats. Journal of Diabetes Nursing. 2019;6(4):618-30.
- Sun B, Jiang J, Zhu X, Yang D, Cui Z, Zhang Y, et al. Protective effects of gastrodin pretreatment on mouse hepatic ischemia‑reperfusion occurring through antioxidant and anti‑apoptotic mechanisms. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 2021;21(5):1-8.
- Aydin S. Three new players in energy regulation: preptin, adropin and irisin. Peptides. 2014;56:94-110.
- Ramezankhani A, Soori R, RAVASI A, Akbarnejad A. Comparison of aerobic exercise and caloric restriction on serum preptin levels and indicators of insulin resistance in obese sedentary women. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015;17:15-308.
- BUCHANAN CM, PHILLIPS AR, COOPER GJ. Preptin derived from proinsulin-like growth factor II (proIGF-II) is secreted from pancreatic islet β-cells and enhances insulin secretion. Biochemical Journal. 2001;360(2):431-9.
- Yang G, Li L, Chen W, Liu H, Boden G, Li K. Circulating preptin levels in normal, impaired glucose tolerance, and type 2 diabetic subjects. Annals of medicine. 2009;41(1):52-6.
- Cheng K-C, Li Y-X, Asakawa A, Ushikai M, Kato I, Sato Y, et al. Characterization of preptin-induced insulin secretion in pancreatic-cells. Journal of endocrinology. 2012;215(1):43.
- Ozkan Y, Timurkan ES, Aydin S, Sahin I, Timurkan M, Citil C, et al. Acylated and desacylated ghrelin, preptin, leptin, and nesfatin-1 Peptide changes related to the body mass index. International journal of endocrinology. 2013;2013.
- Li N, Zheng Y-B, Han J, Liang W, Wang J-Y, Zhou J-R, et al. Lower circulating preptin levels in male patients with osteoporosis are correlated with bone mineral density and bone formation. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2013;14(1):1-5.
- Scherrenberg M, Dendale P. Exercise training in diabetes. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, England; 2019. p. 698-700.
- Cauza E, Hanusch-Enserer U, Strasser B, Ludvik B, Metz-Schimmerl S, Pacini G, et al. The relative benefits of endurance and strength training on the metabolic factors and muscle function of people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 2005;86(8):1527-33.
- Bagheri R, Moghadam BH, Church DD, Tinsley GM, Eskandari M, Moghadam BH, et al. The effects of concurrent training order on body composition and serum concentrations of follistatin, myostatin and GDF11 in sarcopenic elderly men. Experimental gerontology. 2020;133:110869.
- Miller MB, Pearcey GE, Cahill F, McCarthy H, Stratton SB, Noftall JC, et al. The effect of a short-term high-intensity circuit training program on work capacity, body composition, and blood profiles in sedentary obese men: a pilot study. BioMed research international. 2014;2014.
- Paoli A, Pacelli QF, Moro T, Marcolin G, Neri M, Battaglia G, et al. Effects of high-intensity circuit training, low-intensity circuit training and endurance training on blood pressure and lipoproteins in middle-aged overweight men. Lipids in health and disease. 2013;12(1):1-8.
- Nazarali P, Ansari Ghadim R, Rahmani H. The Effect of High-Intensity circuit Training on Serum Preptin Levels and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Sedentary Women. Sport Physiology. 2018;10(40):149-62.
- Swain DP, Brawner CA, Medicine ACoS. ACSM's resource manual for guidelines for exercise testing and prescription: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
- Ramezani S, Parasteah M, Zohrehvandian K. The Effect of Resistance Training on Plasma Levels of Endothelin 1 and Blood Pressure in Older Men. Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences. 2020;12(3):31-9.
- Mohammad Rahimi GR, Bijeh N, Rashidlamir A. Effects of exercise training on serum preptin, undercarboxylated osteocalcin and high molecular weight adiponectin in adults with metabolic syndrome. Experimental physiology. 2020;105(3):449-59.
- El-Eshmawy M, Abdel Aal I. Relationships between preptin and osteocalcin in obese, overweight, and normal weight adults. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2015;40(3):218-22.
- Gholizadeh M, Kordi MR, Akbarnejad A, Ghardashi Afousi A, Mohammadyari S. The Effect of Two Types of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) on Oxidation of Fat and Carbohydrate in Young Overweight Men. Journal of Sport Biosciences. 2017;9(2):157-69.
- Parastesh M, Nadi Z. The Effects of Regular Resistance Training on the Liver’s Inflammatory Indexes, Chemerin, Resistin, and Insulin Resistance Index in Healthy and Type 2 Diabetic Male Rats. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2020;23(1):48-59.
- N R, A G, S C, M K, K B. The Effect of resistance training on serum levels of RBP-4 and insulin resistance index in type 2 diabetic male rats. Journal of North Khorasan University of Medical sciences. 2017;9(2):157-47.
- Taji Tabas A, Mogharnasi M. The effect of 10 week resistance exercise training on serum levels of nesfatin-1 and insulin resistance index in woman with type 2 diabetes. Iranian journal of Diabetes and Metabolism. 2016;14(3):179-88.
- Shoelson SE, Herrero L, Naaz A. Obesity, inflammation, and insulin resistance. Gastroenterology. 2007;132(6):2169-80.
- Parastesh M, Saremi A, Ebadianejad M. Effect of Chromium Picolinate Supplementation Combined With Resistance Training on Liver Enzymes Levels and Insulin Resistance in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Complementary Medicine Journal. 2019;9(3):3792-803.
- Afshoun Pour MT, Habibi A, Ranjbar R. The impact of circuit resistance exercise training on metabolic parameters in type 2 diabetics men. Jundishapur Scientific Medical Journal. 2016;15(2):125-38.
- Miller EG, Nowson CA, Dunstan DW, Kerr DA, Menzies D, Daly RM. Effects of whey protein plus vitamin D supplementation combined with resistance training on glycemic control, body composition, muscle function and cardiometabolic risk factors in middle‐aged and older overweight/obese adults with type 2 diabetes? A 24‐week randomized controlled trial. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. 2020.
- Tawfighi A, Hamzezadeh S. Evaluation of plasma visfatin and metabolic indices response to aerobic training in type 2 diabetes women. Exerc Biomed Sci. 2012;4(8):51-60.
- Zarei M, Beheshti Nasr SMB, Hamedinia M, Taheri Chadorneshin H, Askari Majdabadi H. Effects of 12 weeks of combined aerobic-resistance exercise training on levels of chemerin, omentin and insulin resistance in men with type 2 diabetes. Koomesh. 2020;22(1):155-63.
- Liu Y, Liu S-x, Cai Y, Xie K-l, Zhang W-l, Zheng F. Effects of combined aerobic and resistance training on the glycolipid metabolism and inflammation levels in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of physical therapy science. 2015;27(7):2365-71.
- Frøsig C, Rose AJ, Treebak JT, Kiens B, Richter EA, Wojtaszewski JF. Effects of endurance exercise training on insulin signaling in human skeletal muscle: interactions at the level of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, Akt, and AS160. Diabetes. 2007;56(8):2093-102.