Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY 4.0 license
M.Sc. of Exercise Physiology, Ayatollah Amoli Branch, Islamic Azad University, Amol, Iran
Associate Professor of Exercise Physiology, Ayatollah Amoli Branch, Islamic Azad University, Amol, Iran
Assistant Professor of Exercise Physiology, Damghan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Damghan, Iran
One of the simplest and safest ways to treat diabetes is exercise regularly and Consumption of herbal medicines that have few side effects. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of high-intensity interval training with aloe vera supplementation on some selected adipokines in type 2 diabetic men. In this quasi-experimental study, 44 men with type 2 diabetes (mean age 25-40 years) were randomly divided into four groups (n=11) of control, aloe vera, exercise and exercise- aloe vera groups. High-intensity interval training were performed 3 sessions per week for 12 weeks. Subjects received an aloe vera capsule containing 100 mg of aloe vera gel powder in the morning immediately after waking up and one capsule after dinner. Blood samples and anthropometric characteristics were obtained before and after the intervention. Data were analyzed using two-way ANOVA with repeated measures, t-test and Tukey post hoc test at P<0.05. The results showed that 12 weeks of HIIT and HIIT with aloe vera supplementation significantly reduced cathepsin S, K, L levels in type 2 diabetic men (P=0.001). Also, aloe vera supplementation reduced the levels of cathepsin S, K, L, which was not statistically significant (P <0.05). It seems that 12 weeks of HIIT and HIIT with aloe vera supplementation will improve adipokines in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Williams R, Colagiuri S, Almutairi R. International diabetes federation, in IDF Diabetes Atlas Ninth edition, International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, 2019; 1-176.
- Kaul N, Ali S. Genes, Genetics, and Environment in Type 2 Diabetes: Implication in Personalized Medicine. DNA Cell Biol. 2016; 35:1–12.
- Weschenfelder C, Schaan de Quadros A, Lorenzon Dos Santos J, Bueno Garofallo S, Marcadenti A. Adipokines and adipose tissue-related metabolites, nuts and cardiovascular disease. Metabolites. 2020; 10:32.
- Rabe K, Lehrke M, Parhofer KG, Broedl UC. Adipokines and insulin resistance. Mol Med 2008; 14: 741–751.
- Yadati T, Houben T, Bitorina A, Shiri-Sverdlov R. The Ins and Outs of Cathepsins: Physiological Function and Role in Disease Management Cells. 2020; 9(7): 1679.
- Rossi A, Deveraux Q, Turk B, Sali A. Comprehensive search for cysteine cathepsins in the human genome. Biological chemistry. 2004;385(5):363-72.
- Xiao Y, Junfeng H, Tianhong L, Lu W, Shulin C, Yu Z, et al. Cathepsin K in adipocyte differentiation and its potential role in the pathogenesis of obesity. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2006;91(11):4520-7.
- Patel S, Homaei A, El-Seedi HR, Akhtar N. Cathepsins: Proteases that are vital for survival but can also be fatal. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy. 2018;105:526-32.
- Chen RP, Ren A, Ye SD. Correlation between serum cathepsin S and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. 2013;6(5):1237-42.
- Liu J, Ma L, Yang J, Ren A, Sun Z, Yan G, et al. Increased serum cathepsin S in patients with atherosclerosis and diabetes. Atherosclerosis. 2006;186(2):411-9.
- Amanat S, Ghahri S, Dianatinasab A, Fararouei M, Dianatinasab M. Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes Adv Exp Med Biol. 2020;1228:91-105.
- Hamasaki H. Daily physical activity and type 2 diabetes: A review. World J Diabetes. 2016;7(12):243–51.
- Stanford KI, Goodyear LJ. Exercise and type 2 diabetes: molecular mechanisms regulating glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. Adv Physiol Educ. 2014;38(4):308–14.
- Vahedi M, Farzanegi P. The Effect of Portulacaoleracea L Consumption and Regular Exercise on Levels of Cathepsin S, Cystatin C and C-Reactive Protein in Diabetic Women. Medical Laboratory Journal. 2015;9(4):47-53.
- NASIRISEMNANI S, SHAHIDI F. The Effect of Four Weeks of Resistance Training Along with Alfalfa Extract on Cathepsin S and Cystatin C Levels in Girls with Weight Loss. 2016.
- Sponder M, Campean I-A, Emich M, Fritzer-Szekeres M, Litschauer B, Bergler-Klein J, et al. Long-term endurance training increases serum cathepsin S and decreases IL-6 and hsCRP levels. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2017;35(21):2129-34.
- Parihar M, Chaudhary M, Shetty R, Hemnani T. Susceptibility of hippocampus and cerebral cortex to oxidative damage in streptozotocin treated mice: prevention by extracts of Withania somnifera and Aloe vera. Journal of clinical neuroscience. 2004;11(4):397-402.
- Vogler BK, Ernst E. Aloe vera: a systematic review of its clinical effectiveness. Br J Gen Pract 1999; 49 447:823-828.
- Pothuraju R, Kumar Sharma R, Narender Raju P. Anti-hyperglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of different Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller) extracts in the management of obesity and diabetes. Br J Nutr 2014; 10 4:241-250.
- Ngo MQ, Nguyen NN, Shah SA. Oral Aloe vera for treatment of diabetes mellitus and dyslipidemia. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2010; 67 21:1804-1811.
- Ajabnoor MA. Effect of aloes on blood glucose levels in normal and alloxan diabetic mice. J Ethnopharmacol 1990; 28 2:215-220.
- Conus S. Cathepsins and their involvement in immune responses. Swiss medical weekly. 2010;140(2930).
- Florian Azad Engel, Alexander Ackermann,1 Hamdi Chtourou,2 and Billy Sperlich High-Intensity Interval Training Performed by Young Athletes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 1012.
- Wormgoor SG, Dalleck LC, Zinn C, Harris NK. Effects of High-Intensity Interval Training on People Living with Type 2 Diabetes: A Narrative Review. Can J Diabetes. 2017 Oct;41(5):536-547.
- Francois ME, Little JP. Effectiveness and safety of high-intensity interval training in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Spectr. 2015;28(1):39-44.
- Velioglu Y, Mazza G, Gao L, Oomah B. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics in selected fruits, vegetables, and grain products. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry. 1998;46(10):4113-7.
- Trapp EG, Chisholm DJ, Freund J, Boutcher SH. The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss and fasting insulin levels of young women. International journal of obesity. 2008;32(4):684-91.
- Tanaka H, Monahan KD, Seals DR. Age-predicted maximal heart rate revisited. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2001;37(1):153-6.
- Lafarge J-C, Pini M, Pelloux V, Orasanu G, Hartmann G, Venteclef N, et al. Cathepsin S inhibition lowers blood glucose levels in mice. Diabetologia. 2014;57(8):1674-83.
- Guo R, Hua Y, Rogers O, Brown TE, Ren J, Nair S. Cathepsin K knockout protects against cardiac dysfunction in diabetic mice. Scientific reports. 2017;7(1):1-14.
- Turk V, Stoka V, Vasiljeva O, Renko M, Sun T, Turk B, Turk D. Cysteine cathepsins: from structure, function and regulation to new frontiers. Biochim Biophys Acta, 2012; 1824, 68–88.
- Hua Y, Zhang Y, Dolence J, Shi GP, Ren J, Nair S.. Cathepsin K knockout mitigates high-fat diet-induced cardiac hypertrophy and contractile dysfunction. Diabetes. 2013; 62, 498–509.
- Xiao Y, Junfeng H, Tianhong L, Lu W, Shulin C, Yu Z, et al. Cathepsin K in adipocyte differentiation and its potential role in the pathogenesis of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91(11):4520-7.
- Taleb S, Cancello R, Poitou C, Rouault C, Sellam P, Levy P, et al. Weight loss reduces adipose tissue cathepsin S and its circulating levels in morbidly obese women. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2006;91(3):1042-7.
- Rognmo Ø, HetlandE, Helgerud J, Hoff J. and Slørdahl SA. High intensity aerobic interval exercise is superior to moderate intensity exercise for increasing aerobic capacity in patients with coronary artery disease. Eur J CardiovascPrevRehabil. 2004; 11 (3): 216-22.
- Taleb S, Lacasa D, Bastard JP, Poitou C, Cancello R, Pelloux V, et al. Cathepsin S, a novel biomarker of adiposity: relevance to atherogenesis. The FASEB journal. 2005;19(11):1540-2.
- Suksomboon N, Poolsup N, Punthanitisarn S. Effect of Aloe vera on glycaemic control in prediabetes and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. Journal of clinical pharmacy and therapeutics. 2016;41(2):180-8.
- Shin E, Shim KS, Kong H. Dietary Aloe improves insulin Sensitivity via the suppression of obesity-induced inflammation in obese mice Immune Netw, 2011; 59-67
- Rahimifard M, Navaei-Nigjeh M, Mahroui N, et al. Improvement in the function of isolated rat pancreatic islets through reduction of oxidative stress using traditional Iranian medicine Cell J. 2013; 16:147-163
- Asgari Hazaveh D, Riyahi Malayeri S, Babaei S. Effect of Eight Weeks High Intensity Interval Training and Medium Intensity Interval Training and Aloe vera Intake on Serum Vaspin and Insulin Resistance in Diabetic Male Rats. Journal of Arak University of Medical Sciences. 2018;20(11):67-75.
- Hosseini M, Bagheri Afsariehee MR. The effect of high intensity interval training and Aloe Vera consumption on resistin and insulin resistance index in diabetic rat. Feyz Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences. 2018;22(4):370-8.