Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
1 . PhD Student of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
2 . Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
3 . Associate Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
4 PhD Student of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Guilan, Gilan, Iran
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of six weeks endurance training and treatment of stanozolol on hepatic enzymes (ALT, AST and ALP) in male healthy rats. For this reason, 32 male Wistar rats aged 12 weeks old (initial body weight, 289±16g) were divided randomly into four groups; placebo (P, n=8), exercise (E, n=8), exercise stanozolol (ES, n=8) and stanozolol (S, n=8). ES and S groups received a weekly intramuscular injection (5mg/kg of body weight) of stanozolol, while P and E groups received Arashiz oil as placebo. E and ES groups were submitted to a progressive running program on a treadmill, for 6 weeks and 5 days per week. ALT, AST and ALP serum levels were measured by ELISA method. Data were analysed by one way ANOVA test, (p < 0.05). ALT (P=0.002) and AST (P=0.001) changes were significant but ALP changes were not significant. According to the findings of this study, endurance training could not modulate possible side effects of stanozolol on liver tissue.
2. Street C, Antonio J, Cudlipp D. Androgen use by athletes: a reevaluation of the health risks. Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology. 1996;21(6):421-40.
3. Kargarfard M, GHIAS M, KarimZadegan A, Kashi A. Assumption of anabolic-androgenic steroids among Isfahan University students: prevalence, and awareness about their side effects.
4. Yesalis CE, Kennedy NJ, Kopstein AN, Bahrke MS. Anabolic-androgenic steroid use in the United States. Jama. 1993;270(10):1217-21.
5. Padgham C, Wang X, Paine A, editors. The loss of cytochromes P450 (CYPs) in rat liver cell culture is triggered during hepatocyte isolation and again during the first 4 hours of culture. Cytochrome P450 8th International Conference John Libbey Eurotext, Paris; 1994.
6. Soma L, Uboh C, Guan F, McDonnell S, Pack J. Pharmacokinetics of boldenone and stanozolol and the results of quantification of anabolic and androgenic steroids in race horses and nonrace horses. Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics. 2007;30(2):101-8.
7. Mottram D. Drug Use in sport and dope festing. Sport and Exercise Medicine for Pharmacists. 20. :۱ ۲۳;۹ ۰۶
8. Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA. Medical issues associated with anabolic steroid use: are they exaggerated? Journal of sports science & medicine. 2006;5(2):182.
9. Montisci M, El Mazloum R, Cecchetto G, Terranova C, Ferrara SD, Thiene G, et al. Anabolic androgenic steroids abuse and cardiac death in athletes: morphological and toxicological findings in four fatal cases. Forensic science international. 2012;217(1):e13-e8.
10. Elinav E, Ben-Dov IZ, Ackerman E, Kiderman A, Glikberg F, Shapira Y, et al .Correlation between serum alanine aminotransferase activity and age: an inverted U curve pattern. The American journal of gastroenterology. 2005;100(10):2201-4.
11. Rahmioglu N, Andrew T, Cherkas L, Surdulescu G, Swaminathan R, Spector T, et al. Epidemiology and genetic epidemiology of the liver function test proteins. PLoS One. 2009;4(2):e4435.
388 علوم زیستی ورزشی، دورة 12 ، شمارة 4، زمستان 1399
12. Warburton D, Welsh R, Haykowsky M, Taylor D, Humen D. Biochemical changes as a result of prolonged strenuous exercise. British journal of sports medicine. 200۳۰-۱ : ( )۴ ۳۶; ۲
13. Stępień PM, Reczko K, Wieczorek A, Zarębska-Michaluk D, Pabjan P, Król T, et al. Severe intrahepatic cholestasis and liver failure after stanozolol usage–case report and review of the literature.
14. Ampuero J, García ES, Lorenzo MM, Calle R, Ferrero P, Gómez MR. Stanozolol-induced bland cholestasis. Gastroenterología y hepatología. 2014;37(2):71.
15. Socas L, Zumbardo M, Perez-Luzardo O, Ramos AP. C., Hernandez, JR and Boada, LD Hepatocellular adenomas associated with anabolic androgenic steroid abuse in bodybuilders: a report of two cases and a review of the literature. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2005;39:e27.
16. Orlandi F, Jezequel A, Merlitti A. The action of some anabolic steroids on the structure and the function of human liver cell. International Association for Study of the Liver: Karger Publishers; 1965. p. 109-13.
17. Rashid Lamir A, Dehbashi M, Ketabdar B. The Effects of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids Abuse on the Level of Liver Enzymes and Serum Albumin among Bodybuilding Athletes. Shomal Journal of Management and Physiology in Sport. 2014;1(2):9-18.
18. ZAHAKI JM, RAHMANI NF. THE IMPACT OF ANABOLIC–ANDROGENIC STEROIDS USE ON THE LIVER ENZYMES (ALT, AST, ALP) AND HEMATOLOGIC PARAMETERS IN MALE BODYBUILDERS. 2016.
19. Finkelstein JS, Lee H, Burnett-Bowie S-AM, Pallais JC, Yu EW, Borges LF, et al. Gonadal steroids and body composition, strength, and sexual function in men. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369(11):1011-22.
20. Tousson E, Alm-Eldeen A, El-Moghazy M. p53 and Bcl-2expression in response to boldenone induced liver cells injury. Toxicology and industrial health. 2011:0748233710395350.
21. Boada LD, Zumbado M, Torres S, López A, Díaz-Chico BN, Cabrera JJ, et al. Evaluation of acute and chronic hepatotoxic effects exerted by anabolic-androgenic steroid stanozolol in adult male rats. Archives of toxicology. 1999;73(8-9):465-72.
22. El-Halwagy ME, Abd-Alrahman SH, Mahmoud RH, Khalifa FK, Darwish NS, Attia AA, et al. Impact of chronic androgenic steroid exposure on liver toxicity. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL PATHOLOGY. 2016;9(2):2652-9.
23. Coward RM, Rajanahally S, Kovac JR, Smith RP, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI. Anabolic steroid induced hypogonadism in young men. The Journal of urology. 2013;190(6):2200-5.
24. Shahraki MR, Rafeei R. The Effects of Subacute Supraphysiological Dose of Nandrolone Decanoate on Liver Enzymes and Lipid Pofiles in Rats. Zahedan Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2015;17(9.(
تأثیر تعاملی شش هفته تمرین استقامتی و تزریق استروئید استانوزولول بر آنزیمهای کبدی ... 389
25. Tahernejad Z, Baghshani H, Rashidlamir A. Blood biochemical and oxidant/antioxidant alterations following stanozolol treatment along with resistance training in rats. Andrologia. 2016.
26. Pey A, Saborido A, Blázquez I, Delgado J, Megı́as A. Effects of prolonged stanozolol treatment on antioxidant enzyme activities, oxidative stress markers, and heat shock protein HSP72 levels in rat liver. The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology. 2003;87(4):269-77.
27. Gragera R, Saborido A, Molano F, Jimenez L, Muñiz E, Megias A. Ultrastructural changes induced by anabolic steroids in liver of trained rats. 1993.
28. Bento-Silva MT, Martins MdCdC, Torres-Leal FL, Barros TL, Carvalho ILdNF, Carvalho Filho HA, et al. Effects of administering testosterone undecanoate in rats subjected to physical exercise: effects on the estrous cycle, motor behavior and morphology of the liver and kidney. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010;46(1):79-89.
29. Slater G, Tan B, Teh KC. Dietary supplementation practices of Singaporean athletes. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism. 2003;13:320-32.
30. Halabchi F. Doping in combat sports. Combat sports medicine: Springer; 2009. p. 55-72.
31. Van Zyl CG, Noakes TD, Lambert MI. Anabolic-androgenic steroid increases running endurance in rats. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 1995;27(10):1385-9.
32. Kristiansen M, Levy-Milne R, Barr S, Flint A. Dietary supplement use by varsity athletes at a Canadian university. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2005. ۱۹-۵ ۲۱:۰ ()۲ ۱;۵
33. Graham MR, Grace FM, Boobier W, Hullin D, Kicman A, Cowan D, et al. Homocysteine induced cardiovascular events: a consequence of long term anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) abuse. British journal of sports medicine. 2006;40(7):644-8.
34. Noble EG, Moraska A, Mazzeo RS, Roth DA, Olsson MC, Moore RL, et al. Differential expression of stress proteins in rat myocardium after free wheel or treadmill run training. Journal of Applied Physiology. 1999;86(5):1696-701.
35. Štimac D, Milic S, Dintinjana RD, Kovac D, Ristic S. Androgenic/Anabolic steroid-induced toxic hepatitis. Journal of clinical gastroenterology. 2002;35(4):350-2.
36. Timcheh-Hariri A, Balali-Mood M, Aryan E, Sadeghi M, Riahi-Zanjani B. Toxic hepatitis in a group of 20 male body-builders taking dietary supplements. Food and chemical toxicology. 2012;50(10):3826-32.
37. Filipowicz R, Greene T, Wei G, Cheung AK, Raphael KL, Baird BC, et al. Associations of serum skeletal alkaline phosphatase with elevated C-reactive protein and mortality. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2013;8(1):26-32.
38. McGarry JD, Brown NF. The mitochondrial carnitine palmitoyltransferase system—from concept to molecular analysis. European Journal of Biochemistry. 1997;244(1):1-14.
39. Bond P, Llewellyn W, Van Mol P. Anabolic androgenic steroid-induced hepatotoxicity. Medical Hypotheses. 2016;93:150-3