Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
MSc Student, Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Mazandaran University, Babolsar, Iran
Professor, Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Mazandaran University, Babolsar, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Sport Biomechanics and Motor Behavior, Faculty of Sport Sciences, Mazandaran University, Babolsar, Iran
Professor, Department of Cardiovascular Diseases, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Although evidence suggests that air pollution in industrial societies is associated with mortality following cardiorespiratory diseases, there are few evidences showing the effects of physical fitness and gender. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of physical fitness status and gender on cardiorespiratory indexes such as the percentage of hemoglobin saturation of oxygen (SPO2), double product (DP) and spirometric indices (FVC, FEV1, FEV1/FVC and PEF) following exhaustive exercise in air pollution. In a semi-experimental design, 120 males and females (8 groups, aged between 40 and 55) were randomly divided into 4 experimental groups (active women, active men, inactive women and inactive men) living in an air polluted region and 4 control groups (active women, active men, inactive women and inactive men) living in a clean air area. Two-way ANOVA showed that air pollution caused a 29.5% increase in DP while acutely decreased FVC and FEV1 by 16.87% and 21.4% at resting level respectively. A 26.31% increase in DP happened in inactive men and women who lived in an air polluted region following an exhaustive exercise compared with the control groups. In addition, gender also increased men’s resting levels of DP and FEV1/FVC by 12.14% and 7.63% respectively. Based on these findings, the air pollution exposure increases the burden on the heart and the amount of myocardial oxygen consumption. Likewise, this situation is more prominent in women. Although physical fitness modifies these indices in the air polluted environment, it does not inhibit them.
- Lee HM, Kim MS, Kim DJ, Uhm TW, Yi SB, Han JH, et al. Effects of meteorological factor and air pollution on sudden sensorineural hearing loss using the health claims data in Busan, Republic of Korea. Am J Otolaryngol. 2019;40(3):393–9.
- Li Y, Chiu Y, Lin T-Y. The Impact of Economic Growth and Air Pollution on Public Health in 31 Chinese Cities. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(3):393.
- Sohn M, Kim H, Sung H, Lee Y, Choi H, Chung H. Association of social deprivation and outdoor air pollution with pulmonary tuberculosis in spatiotemporal analysis. Int J Environ Health Res. 2019;1–11.
- Chalvatzaki E, Chatoutsidou SE, Lehtomäki H, Almeida SM, Eleftheriadis K, Hänninen O, et al. Characterization of Human Health Risks from Particulate Air Pollution in Selected European Cities. Atmosphere (Basel). 2019;10(2):96.
- Naghizadeh A, Sharifzadeh G, Tabatabaei F, Afzali A, Yari AR, Geravandi S, et al. Assessment of carbon monoxide concentration in indoor/outdoor air of Sarayan city, Khorasan Province of Iran. Environ Geochem Health. 2019;1–6.
- Peters A, Dockery DW, Muller JE, Mittleman MA. Increased particulate air pollution and the triggering of myocardial infarction. Circulation. 2001;103(23):2810–5.
- Riediker M, Cascio WE, Griggs TR, Herbst MC, Bromberg PA, Neas L, et al. Particulate matter exposure in cars is associated with cardiovascular effects in healthy young men. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;169(8):934–40.
- Chen D, Xiao Y, Tang S. Air quality index induced nonsmooth system for respiratory infection. J Theor Biol. 2019;460:160–9.
- Song W-M, Liu Y, Liu J-Y, Tao N-N, Li Y-F, Liu Y, et al. The burden of air pollution and weather condition on daily respiratory deaths among older adults in China, Jinan from 2011 to 2017. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019;98(10).
- Heusser K, Tank J, Holz O, May M, Brinkmann J, Engeli S, et al. Ultrafine particles and ozone perturb norepinephrine clearance rather than centrally generated sympathetic activity in humans. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):3641.
- Ye F, Piver WT, Ando M, Portier CJ. Effects of temperature and air pollutants on cardiovascular and respiratory diseases for males and females older than 65 years of age in Tokyo, July and August 1980-1995. Environ Health Perspect. 2001;109(4):355–9.
- Newell K, Kartsonaki C, Lam KBH, Kurmi OP. Cardiorespiratory health effects of particulate ambient air pollution exposure in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Planet Heal. 2017;1(9):e368–80.
- Hachesu VR, Fe’li SN, Shouroki FK, Mehrparvar AH, Reza JZ, Azimi M, et al. Carbon load in airway macrophages, DNA damage and lung function in taxi drivers exposed to traffic-related air pollution. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019;26(7):6868–76.
- Bhatia S, Sood A. Obesity and obstructive lung disease: An epidemiologic review. In: Mechanisms and Manifestations of Obesity in Lung Disease. Elsevier; 2019. p. 67–87.
- Omidei M, Rajabei H, Balochei R. Evaluating the effects of decreasing the sessions and increasing the exercise intensity on body composition, aerobic and anaerobic power in non-athletic female students; 2010. (in Persian).
- Valizadeh A, Akbar Nezhad A, Yarei M, Rajabei A, Baverdei Moghaddam E. The effect of an aerobic training period on the resistin levels, glycosylated hemoglobin, insulin resistance index and some cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetic obesity women.
- Lee K, Sener IN. Understanding Potential Exposure of Bicyclists on Roadways to Traffic-Related Air Pollution: Findings from El Paso, Texas, Using Strava Metro Data. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(3):371.
- Tainio M, de Nazelle AJ, Götschi T, Kahlmeier S, Rojas-Rueda D, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, et al. Can air pollution negate the health benefits of cycling and walking? Prev Med (Baltim). 2016;87:233–6.
- Alias C, Benassi L, Bertazzi L, Sorlini S, Volta M, Gelatti U. Environmental exposure and health effects in a highly polluted area of Northern Italy: a narrative review. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2019;26(5):4555–69.
- Pun VC, Ho K. Blood pressure and pulmonary health effects of ozone and black carbon exposure in young adult runners. Sci Total Environ. 2019;657:1–6.
- Carsin A-E, Fuertes E, Schaffner E, Jarvis D, Antó JM, Heinrich J, et al. Restrictive spirometry pattern is associated with low physical activity levels. A population based international study. Respir Med. 2019;146:116–23.
- Clougherty JE. A growing role for gender analysis in air pollution epidemiology. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;118(2):167–76.
- PAK RADB, AGHA AH, Zamani A, Fashi M, REZAEI SB, Rajabi Z. STUDY OF EFFECT OF AEROBIC EXERCISE IN PARTICULATE AIR POLLUTION TLR4 AND IL-1β GENES EXPRESSION IN MALE WISTAR RATS’HEART TISSUE. 2016. (in Persian)
- Tong Z, Li Y, Westerdahl D, Adamkiewicz G, Spengler JD. Exploring the effects of ventilation practices in mitigating in-vehicle exposure to traffic-related air pollutants in China. Environ Int. 2019;127:773–84.
- Haskell WL, Lee I-M, Pate RR, Powell KE, Blair SN, Franklin BA, et al. Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007;116(9):1081.
- Bjørnstad H, Corrado D, Pelliccia A. Prevention of sudden death in young athletes: a milestone in the history of sports cardiology. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, England; 2006.
- Roberg RA, Roberts SO. Fundamental principles of exercise physiology for fitness, performanc, and health. Gaeini AA, Dabidi Roushan V. 6th. Qum: Gulha; 2012. 348. (in Persian)
- Ellis KJ, Bell SJ, Chertow GM, Chumlea WC, Knox TA, Kotler DP, et al. Bioelectrical impedance methods in clinical research: a follow-up to the NIH Technology Assessment Conference. Nutrition. 1999;15(11–12):874–80.
- Noonan V, Dean E. Submaximal exercise testing: clinical application and interpretation. Phys Ther. 2000;80(8):782–807.
- Strom CJ, Pettitt RW, Krynski LM, Jamnick NA, Hein CJ, Pettitt CD. Validity of a customized submaximal treadmill protocol for determining VO2max. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2018;
- Miller MR, Hankinson J, Brusasco V, Burgos F, Casaburi R, Coates A, et al. Standardisation of spirometry. Eur Respir J. 2005;26(2):319–38.
- Liu Y. The Influence of Severe Haze Environment on Human Heart and Lung Function. Ekoloji Derg. 2019;(107).
- Rouatbi S, Ghannouchi I, Bensaad H. The Effects of Aging on Exhaled Nitric Oxide (FeNO) in a North African Population. Lung. 2019;197(1):73–80.
- Krishnan MA, Jawahar K, Perumal V, Devaraj T, Thanarasu A, Kubendran D, et al. Effects of ambient air pollution on respiratory and eye illness in population living in Kodungaiyur, Chennai. Atmos Environ. 2019;203:166–71.
- Usemann J, Decrue F, Korten I, Proietti E, Gorlanova O, Vienneau D, et al. Exposure to moderate air pollution and associations with lung function at school-age: A birth cohort study. Environ Int. 2019;126:682–9.
- Cakmak S, Dales R, Leech J, Liu L. The influence of air pollution on cardiovascular and pulmonary function and exercise capacity: Canadian Health Measures Survey (CHMS). Environ Res. 2011;111(8):1309–12.
- Polley KR, Oswell NJ, Pegg RB, Cooper JA. Tart cherry consumption with or without prior exercise increases antioxidant capacity and decreases triglyceride levels following a high-fat meal. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2019;44(11):1209–18.
- Carlisle AJ, Sharp NCC. Exercise and outdoor ambient air pollution. Br J Sports Med. 2001;35(4):214–22.
- Loxham M, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Health effects of particulate matter air pollution in underground railway systems–a critical review of the evidence. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2019;16(1):1–24.
- Huff RD, Carlsten C, Hirota JA. An update on immunologic mechanisms in the respiratory mucosa in response to air pollutants. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2019;143(6):1989–2001.
- Franklin M, Zeka A, Schwartz J. Association between PM 2.5 and all-cause and specific-cause mortality in 27 US communities. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2007;17(3):279.
- Lin Z, Chen R, Jiang Y, Xia Y, Niu Y, Wang C, et al. Cardiovascular benefits of fish-oil supplementation against fine particulate air pollution in China. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;73(16):2076–85.
- Folinsbee LJ, RAVEN P. Air pollution: acute and chronic effects. Proc Marathon Med 2000. 2001;
- Bernard N, Saintot M, Astre C, Gerber M. Personal exposure to nitrogen dioxide pollution and effect on plasma antioxidants. Arch Environ Heal An Int J. 1998;53(2):122–8.
- Kan H, Heiss G, Rose KM, Whitsel E, Lurmann F, London SJ. Traffic exposure and lung function in adults: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. Thorax. 2007;62(10):873–9.