Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY 4.0 license
PhD of exercise Physiology, faculty of human science, University of Tarbiat modares, Tehran, Iran
. associate professor of exercise Physiology, faculty of human science, University of Tarbiat modares, Tehran, Iran
. associate professor of medical genetics, faculty of medical science, University of Tarbiat modares, Tehran, Iran
assistant professor of Tarbiat Modares University
The aim of this study was to determine the effects of aerobic interval training and the purported antioxidant treatment, selenium nanoparticle supplementation on the expression of autophagy in 4T1 breast cancer-bearing mice with cachexia. 3-5 weeks old Balb/c mice were initially assigned to control, interval training, selenium nanoparticles and interval training-selenium nanoparticles (n = 15–16/group). After 6 weeks of training, half of each group was injected with 4T1 tumor cells, followed by 6 additional weeks of training. Finally, the mice were sacrificed, tissues were removed and were quantified using the Real-time PCR method. The effect of exercise training on the expression of LC3 and the effect of cancer on mTOR is significant. Combination of interval training and selenium nanoparticles maintained skeletal muscle function in cancer (P<0.05). finally, the adaptation of autophagic genes against physiological and pathologic stresses can be considered to be a counterbalance in body effort to modify these conditions and to bring the body to physiological homeostasis.
- Lenk, K., Schuler, G., & Adams, V. (2010). Skeletal muscle wasting in cachexia and sarcopenia: molecular pathophysiology and impact of exercise training. Journal of cachexia, sarcopenia and muscle, 1(1), 9-21.
- Lira, V. A., Okutsu, M., Zhang, M., Greene, N. P., Laker, R. C., Breen, D. S.,... & Yan, Z. (2013). Autophagy is required for exercise training-induced skeletal muscle adaptation and improvement of physical performance. The FASEB Journal, 27(10), 4184-4193.
- Ham, D. J., Murphy, K. T., Chee, A., Lynch, G. S., & Koopman, R. (2014). Glycine administration attenuates skeletal muscle wasting in a mouse model of cancer cachexia. Clinical Nutrition, 33(3), 448-458.
- Bianco, R., Garofalo, S., Rosa, R., Damiano, V., Gelardi, T., Daniele, G.,... & Tortora, G. (2008). Inhibition of mTOR pathway by everolimus cooperates with EGFR inhibitors in human tumours sensitive and resistant to anti-EGFR drugs. British journal of cancer, 98(5), 923-930.
- Bhutia, S. K., Dash, R., Das, S. K., Azab, B., Su, Z. Z., Lee, S. G.,... & Sarkar, D. (2010). Mechanism of autophagy to apoptosis switch triggered in prostate cancer cells by antitumor cytokine melanoma differentiation-associated gene 7/interleukin-24. Cancer research, 70(9), 3667-3676.
- Ogata, T., Oishi, Y., Higuchi, M., & Muraoka, I. (2010). Fasting-related autophagic response in slow-and fast-twitch skeletal muscle. Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 394(1), 136-140.
- Tolkovsky, A. M. (2010). Autophagy thwarts muscle disease. Nature medicine, 16(11), 1188-1190.
- Shen, Q., Zhang, B., Xu, R., Wang, Y., Ding, X., & Li, P. (2010). Antioxidant activity in vitro of the selenium-contained protein from the Se-enriched Bifidobacterium animalis 01. Anaerobe, 16(4), 380-386.
- Yazdi, M. H., Mahdavi, M., Varastehmoradi, B., Faramarzi, M. A., & Shahverdi, A. R. (2012). The immunostimulatory effect of biogenic selenium nanoparticles on the 4T1 breast cancer model: an in vivo study. Biological trace element research, 149(1), 22-28.
- Zhang, J., Wang, X., & Xu, T. (2008). Elemental selenium at nano size (Nano-Se) as a potential chemopreventive agent with reduced risk of selenium toxicity: comparison with se-methylselenocysteine in mice. Toxicological sciences, 101(1), 22-31.
- Masiero, E., Agatea, L., Mammucari, C., Blaauw, B., Loro, E., Komatsu, M.,... & Sandri, M. (2009). Autophagy is required to maintain muscle mass. Cell metabolism, 10(6), 507-515.
- Mousavi, S. M., Montazeri, A., Mohagheghi, M. A., Jarrahi, A. M., Harirchi, I., Najafi, M., & Ebrahimi, M. (2007). Breast cancer in Iran: an epidemiological review. The breast journal, 13(4), 383-391.
- Agha-Alinejad H, Haftchenari S, Matin Homaee H. [Effect of a Period of Endurance Training on Serum Il-8 Concentration and Tumor Volume in Breast Cancer Bearing Mice (In Persian)]. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014 May 15;16(1):26-32.
- Bernstein L, Henderson BE, Hanisch R, Sullivan-Halley J, Ross RK. Physical exercise and reduced risk of breast cancer in young women. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1994 Sep 21;86(18):1403-8.
- Khori, V., Shalamzari, S. A., Isanejad, A., Alizadeh, A. M., Alizadeh, S., Khodayari, S.,... & Khaniki, M. (2015). Effects of exercise training together with tamoxifen in reducing mammary tumor burden in mice: Possible underlying pathway of miR-21. European journal of pharmacology, 765, 179-187.
- Balliet RM, Capparelli C, Guido C, Pestell TG, Martinez-Outschoorn UE, Lin Z, Whitaker-Menezes D, Chiavarina B, Pestell RG, Howell A, Sotgia F. Mitochondrial oxidative stress in cancer-associated fibroblasts drives lactate production, promoting breast cancer tumor growth: understanding the aging and cancer connection. Cell cycle. 2011 Dec 1;10(23):4065-73.
- Mathew, R., Kongara, S., Beaudoin, B., Karp, C. M., Bray, K., Degenhardt, K.,... & White, E. (2007). Autophagy suppresses tumor progression by limiting chromosomal instability. Genes & development, 21(11), 1367-1381.
- Penna, F., Costamagna, D., Pin, F., Camperi, A., Fanzani, A., Chiarpotto, E. M.,... & Costelli, P. (2013). Autophagic degradation contributes to muscle wasting in cancer cachexia. The American journal of pathology, 182(4), 1367-1378.
- He, C., Sumpter, Jr, R., & Levine, B. (2012). Exercise induces autophagy in peripheral tissues and in the brain. Autophagy, 8(10), 1548-1551.
- Laviano, A., Meguid, M. M., Inui, A., Muscaritoli, M., & Rossi-Fanelli, F. (2005). Therapy insight: cancer anorexia–cachexia syndrome—when all you can eat is yourself. Nature clinical practice Oncology, 2(3), 158-165.
- Qi, Z., He, Q., Ji, L., & Ding, S. (2014). Antioxidant supplement inhibits skeletal muscle constitutive autophagy rather than fasting-induced autophagy in mice. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2014.
- Shiri Y, Agha-Alinejad H, Gharakhanlou R, Amani Shalamzari S, Saei MA. [Effect of six weeks endurance training on tumor tissue IL-10 cytokine levels in breast cancer bearing mice (In Persian)]. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014 Sep 15;16(3):205-10.
- Tarricone, R., Ricca, G., Nyanzi-Wakholi, B., & Medina-Lara, A. (2015). Impact of cancer anorexia-cachexia syndrome on health-related quality of life and resource utilisation: A systematic review. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology.