Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY 4.0 license
Assistant Professor, Department of Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Alzahra University, Tehran, Iran
The aim of this study was to determine the effect of endurance training on some metabolic parameters of Nicotinamide and Streptozotocin induced type 2 diabetic rats. After the induction of diabetes (injection of Nicotinamide and Streptozotocin), 24 non-obese adult male rats were divided into 3 groups: non-diabetic (n=8), trained diabetic (n=8) and control diabetic (n=8). 4 weeks after the development of diabetes, the trained diabetic group ran on a treadmill for 4 weeks. At the end of the training, intraperitoneal glucose tolerance test was performed to determine insulin sensitivity. Plasma glucose and insulin levels were measured and HOMA-IR was calculated. Independent t test and two-way ANOVA were used to analyze data. Results indicated that during 4 weeks of diabetes induction, an insignificant difference was found in body weight, food intake and fasting plasma insulin level between diabetic and non-diabetic groups, but fasting and non-fasting blood glucose level significantly increased in diabetic group compared with non-diabetic group. After 4 weeks of training, an insignificant difference was found in body weight and food intake among non-diabetic, trained diabetic and control diabetic groups, but training significantly decreased fasting plasma glucose level and HOMA-IR and significantly increased fasting plasma insulin and glucose tolerance in trained diabetic group compared with control diabetic group. Therefore, it appears that 4 weeks of endurance training had beneficial effects on some metabolic parameters of type 2 diabetic rats.
- Are PC, Reddy Adidala RR, Puchchakayala G. Hypoglycemic and antidiabetic activity of glochidion velutinum on streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetic rats. Eur J Biol Sci. 2011;3(4):126-130.
- Chang HP, Yao HT, Chiang MT. Effects of high and low molecular weight chitosan on plasma cholesterol, glucose and adipocytokines in diabetic rats induced by streptozotocin and nicotinamide. JFDA. 2012;20(3):661-667.
- Chou TW, Ma CY, Cheng HH, Chen YY, Lai MH. A riceobran oil diet improves lipid abnormalities and suppress hyperinsulinemic responses in rats with streptozotocin/nicotinamide-induced type 2 diabetes. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2009;45(1):29-36.
- Masiello P, Broca C, Gross R, Roye M, Manteghetti M, Hillaire-Buys D, Novelli M, Ribes G. Experimental NIDDM: development of a new model in adult rats administered streptozotocin and nicotinamide. Diabetes. 1998;47(2):224-229.
- Cisse O, Fajardy I, Dickes-Coopman A, Moitrot E, Montel V, Deloof S, Rousseaux J, Vieau D, Laborie C. Mild gestational hyperglycemia in rat induces fetal overgrowth and modulates placental growth factors and nutrient transporters expression. PLoS One. 2013;8(5):e64251.
- Devarshi PP, Jangale NM, Ghule AE, Bodhankar SL, Harsulkar AM. Beneficial effects of flaxseed oil and fish oil diet are through modulation of different hepatic genes involved in lipid metabolism in streptozotocin–nicotinamide induced diabetic rats. Genes Nutr. 2013;8(3):329-342.
- Hammadi SH, AL-Ghamdi SS, Yassien AI, AL-Hassani SD. Aspirin and blood glucose and insulin resistance. OJEMD. 2002; 2(2):16-26.
- Hansen D, Dendale P, Jonkers RA, Beelen M, Manders RJ, Corluy L, Mullens A, Berger J, Meeusen R, van Loon LJ. Continuous low- to moderate-intensity exercise training is as effective as moderate- to high-intensity exercise training at lowering blood HbA1c in obese type 2 diabetes patients. Diabetologia. 2009;52:1789-1797.
- Király MA, Bates HE, Yue JT, Goche-Montes D, Fediuc S, Park E, Matthews SG, Vranic M, Riddell MC. Attenuation of type 2 diabetes mellitus in the male Zucker diabetic fatty rat: the effects of stress and non-volitional exercise. Metabolism. 2007;56(6):732-744.
- Kumar R, Patel DK, Prasad SK, Laloo D, Krishnamurthy S, Hemalatha S. Type 2 antidiabetic activity of bergenin from the roots of Caesalpinia digyna Rottler. Fitoterapia. 2012;83(2):395-401.
- Li HT, Wu XD, Davey AK, Wang J. Antihyperglycemic effects of baicalin on streptozotocin – nicotinamide induced diabetic. Phytother Res. 2011; 25(2):189-194.
- Lin GM, Li YH, Wen SH. Aerobic and resistance training for patients with type 2 diabetes. JAMA. 2011;305(9):891-892.
- Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC. Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia. 1985;28(7):412-419.
- Nakamura T, Terajima T, Ogata T, Ueno K, Hashimoto N, Ono K, Yano S. Establishment and pathophysiological characterization of type 2 diabetic mouse model produced by streptozotocin and nicotinamide. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006;29(6):1167-1174.
- Novelli M, Pocai A, Lajoix AD, Beffy P, Bezzi D, Marchetti P, Gross R, Masiello P. Alteration of β-cell constitutive NO synthase activity is involved in the abnormal insulin response to arginine in a new rat model of type 2 diabetes. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;219(1-2):77-82.
- Palsamy P and Subramanian S. Resveratrol, a natural phytoalexin, normalizes hyperglycemia in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced experimental diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2008;62(9):598-605.
- Patel TP, Soni S, Parikh P, Gosai J, Chruvattil R, Gupta S. Swertiamarin: an active lead from enicostemma littorale regulates hepatic and adipose tissue gene expression by targeting ppar-𝛾 and improves insulin sensitivity in experimental niddm rat model. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013:358673.
- Pierre W, Gildas AJ, Ulrich MC, Modeste WN, Benoît NT, Albert K. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Bersama engleriana leaves in nicotinamide/streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:264.
- Rodrigues B, Figueroa D.M, Mostarda C.T, Heeren M.V, Irigoyen M.C, De Angelis K. Maximal exercise test is a useful method for physical capacity and oxygen consumption determination in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2007;6:38.
- Sigal RJ, Kenny GP, Boulé NG, Wells GA, Prud'homme D, Fortier M, Reid RD, Tulloch H, Coyle D, Phillips P, Jennings A, Jaffey J. Effects of aerobic training, resistance training, or both on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:357-369.
- Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K, Barik R. Effect of aqueous bark extract of Garuga pinnata Roxb. In streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type-II diabetes mellitus. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006;107(2):285-290.
- Szkudelski T. Streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetes in the rat. Characteristics of the experimental model. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2012;237(5):481-490.
- Szkudelski T, Zywert A, Szkudelska K. Metabolic disturbances and defects in insulin secretion in rats with streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetes. Physiol Res. 2013;62(6):663-670.
- Tahara A, Matsuyama-Yokono A, Nakano R, Someya Y, Shibasaki M. Hypoglycaemic effects of antidiabetic drugs in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced mildly diabetic and streptozotocin-induced severely diabetic rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008;103(6):560-668.
- Thomas DE, Elliott EJ, Naughton GA. Exercise for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;(3):CD002968.