1. Aksu I, Topcu A, Camsari UM, Acikgoz O. Effect of acute and chronic exercise on oxidant–antioxidant equilibriumin in rat hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatum. Neurosci Lett. 2009; 452:281-5.
2. Alipour M, Salehi I, Ghadiri Soufi F. Effect of Exercise on Diabetes-Induced Oxidative Stress in the Rat Hippocampus. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2012; 14(4):222-8.
3. Andersen H, Nielsen S, Mogensen CE, Jakobsen J. Muscle strength in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004; 53(6):1543-8.
4. Andreassen CS, Jakobsen J, Flyvbjerg A, Andersen H. Expression of neurotrophic factors in diabetic muscle--relation to neuropathy and muscle strength. Brain. 2009; 132(Pt 10):2724-33.
5. Ang ET, Wong PT, Moochhala S, Ng YK. Neuroprotection associated with running: is it a result of increased endogenous neurotrophic factors?. Neuroscience. 2003; 118(2):335-45.
6. Asano RY, Sales MM, Browne RA, Moraes JF, Coelho Júnior HJ, Moraes MR, & et al. Acute effects of physical exercise in type 2 diabetes: A review. World J Diabetes. 2014;5:659-65.
7. Atalay M, Laaksonen DE. Diabetes, oxidative stress and physical exercise. J Sports Sci Med. 2002; 1(1):1-14.
9. Brands AM, Biessels GJ, De Haan EHF, Kappelle LJ, Kessels RP. The effects of type 1 diabetes on cognitive performance. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28:726-35.
10. Burghardt PR, Fulk LJ, Hand GA, Wilson MA. The effects of chronic treadmill and wheel running on behavior in rats. Brain Res. 2004;1019:84-96.
11. Coskun O, Ocakci A, Bayraktaroglu T, Kanter M. Exercise training prevents and protects streptozotocin-induced oxidative stress and β- cell damage in rat pancreas. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2004;203:145-54.
12. Cotman CW, Berchtold NC. Physical activity and the maintenance of cognition: learning from animal models. Alzheimers Dement. 2007;3:S30-S37.
13. Cristy P
, Mehmet AB
, Malathi S
, Ahmad S
. Neuroprotective effects of physical activity on the brain: a closer look at trophic factor signaling. Front Cell Neurosci. 2014; 8:170.
14. DeFronzo RA. Pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Med Clin North Am. 2004; 88:787-835.
15. De Angelis KL, Oliveira AR, Dall’Ago P, Peixoto LR, Gadonski G, Lacchini S. Effects of exercise training on autonomic and myocardial dysfunction in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2000;33(6);635-41.
16. Emerick AJ, Richards MP, Kartje GL, Neafsey EJ, Stubbs Jr. EB. Experimental diabetes attenuates cerebral cortical-evoked forelimb motor responses. Diabetes. 2005; 54;2764-71.
17. Galer BS, Gianas A, Jensen MP. Painful diabetic polyneuropathy: epidemiology, pain description, and quality of life. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2000; 47:123-8.
18. Gharakhanlou R, Chadan S, Gardiner P. Increased activity in the form of endurance training increases calcitonin gene-related peptide content in lumbar motoneuron cell bodies and in sciatic nerve in the rat. Neuroscience. 1999; 89(4):1229-39.
19. Hoffman-Goetz L, Spagnuolo P. Effect of repeated exercise stress on caspase 3, Bcl-2, HSP 70 and CuZn-SOD protein expression in mouse intestinal lymphocytes. J Neuroimmunol. 2007; 187(1-2):94-101.
20. Hong JH, Kim MJ, Park MR, Kwag OG, Lee IS, Byun BH, et al. Effects of vitamin E on oxidative stress and membrane fluidity in brain of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2004; 340:107-15.
21. Hou CW, Chou SW, Ho HY, Lee WH, Lin CH, Kuo CH. Interactive effect of exercise training and growth hormone administration on glucose tolerance and muscle GLUT4 protein expression in rats. J Biomed Sci. 2003; 10:689-96.
22. Howarth F, Marzouqi F, Salem Al Saeedi A, Shaul Hameed R, Adeghate E. The effect of a heavy exercise program on the distribution of pancreatic hormones in the streptozotocininduced diabetic rat. JOP. 2009;10(5):485-91.
23. Hwang IK, Yi SS, Song W, Won MH, Yoon YS, Seong JK. Effects of age and treadmill exercise in chronic diabetic stages on neuroblast differentiation in a rat model of type 2 diabetes. Brain Res. 2010;1341:63-71.
24. Ito D
, Cao P
, Kakihana T
, Sato E
, Suda C
, Muroya Y
, et al. Chronic Running Exercise Alleviates Early Progression of Nephropathy with Upregulation of Nitric Oxide Synthases and Suppression of Glycation in Zucker Diabetic Rats. PLoS One.
25. Jackson-Guilford J, Leander JD, Nisenbaum LK. The effect of streptozotocin-induced diabetes on cell proliferation in the rat dentate gyrus. Neurosci Lett. 2000; 293(2):91-4.
26. Kim BK, Shin MS, Kim CJ, Baek SB, Ko YC, Kim YP. Treadmill exercise improves short-term memory by enhancing neurogenesis in amyloid beta-induced Alzheimer disease rats. J Exerc Rehabil. 2014; 10:2-8.
27. Kim DH, Ko IG, Kim BK, Kim TW, Kim SE, Shin MS, et al. Treadmill exercise inhibits traumatic brain injury-induced hippocampal apoptosis. Physiol Behav. 2010; 101:660-5.
28. Kucukatay V, Ağar A, Gumuslu S, Yargiçoğlu P. Effect of sulfur dioxide on active and passive avoidance in experimental diabetes mellitus: relation to oxidant stress and antioxidant enzymes. Int J Neurosci. 2007; 117(8):1091-107.
29. Liang Y, Sheng S, Fang P, Ma Y, Li J, Shi Q, et al. Exercise-induced galanin release facilitated GLUT4 translocation in adipocytes of type 2 diabetic rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011; 100:554-9.
30. Liu Q, Chen L, Hu L, Guo Y, Shen X. Small molecules from natural sources, targeting signaling pathways in diabetes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2010; 1799:854-65.
31. Mattson MP. Energy intake and exercise as determinants of brain health and vulnerability to injury and disease. Cell Metab. 2012;16:706-22.
32. Nishikawa T, Edelstein D, Du XL, Yamagishi S, Matsumura T, Kaneda Y, et al. Normalizing mitochondrial superoxide production blocks three pathways of hyperglycaemic damage. Nature. 2000; 404:787-90.
33. Ozkan Y, Yilmaz O, Oztürk AI, Erşan Y. Effects of triple antioxidant combination (vitamin E, vitamin C and alpha-lipoic acid) with insulin on lipid and cholesterol levels and fatty acid composition of brain tissue in experimental diabetic and non-diabetic rats. Cell Biol Int. 2005; 29:754-60.
34. Pang TY, Stam NC, Nithianantharajah J, Howard ML, Hannan AJ. Differential effects of voluntary physical exercise on behavioral and brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression deficits in Huntington’ s disease transgenic mice. Neuroscience. 2006;141:569-84.
35. Park ST, Kim K, Yoon JH, Lee S. Effect of exercise on GLUT4 expression of skeletal muscle in streptozotocininduced diabetic rats. J Exerc Physiol. 2011; 14:113-22.
36. Park S, Kim da S, Kang S. Exercise training attenuates cerebral ischemic hyperglycemia by improving hepatic insulin signaling and β-cell survival. Life Sci. 2013;93:153-60.
37. Popa-Wagner A, Stocker K, Balseanu AT, Rogalewski A, Diederich K, Minnerup J, et al. Effects of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor after stroke in aged rats. Stroke. 2010; 41(5):1027-31.
39. Rafah Sami Ayoub, Effect of exercise on spatial learning and memory in male diabetic rats, Int J Diabetes & Metabolism. 2009;17:93-8.
41. Reisi P, Alaei H, Babri S, Sharifi MR, Mohaddes G. Effects of treadmill running on spatial learning and memory in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Neurosci Lett. 2009; 455:79-83.
42. Tsai CY, Chan JY, Hsu KS, Chang AY, Chan SH. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor ameliorates brain stem cardiovascular dysregulation during experimental temporal lobe status epilepticus. PLoS One. 2012; 7(3):e33527.
44. Wandell PE. Quality of life of patients with diabetes mellitus. An overview of research in primary health care in the Nordic countries. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2005; 23(2):68-74.
45. Zhen YF, Zhang J, Liu XY, Fang H, Tian LB, Zhou DH, et al. Low BDNF is associated with cognitive deficits in patients with type 2 diabetes. Psychopharmacology. 2013; 227(1): 93-100.
46. Zhou Y, Lekic T, Fathali N, Ostrowski RP, Martin RD, Tang J, et al. Isoflurane posttreatment reduces neonatal hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in rats by the sphingosine-1-phosphate/phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase/Akt pathway. Stroke. 2010; 41(7):1521-7.