Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY 4.0 license
PHD student in neuromuscular Exercise Physiology, Faculty of Physical Education and Sports Science, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sports Science, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Sports Science, Teacher Training Shahid Rajai, University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor,Department of Physical Education and Sports Science Faculty of Literature and Humanities,Vali-E-Asar University, Rafsanjan, Iran
Supplements containing antioxidants play an important role in improving performance in the elderly. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of cinnamon extract supplementation on nicotine acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) after one session of exhaustive exercise in old rats. 32 aged Wistar rats were randomly divided into four groups: exhaustive exercise, cinnamon extract, cinnamon extract and exhaustive exercise and control. Cinnamon extract and cinnamon extract and exhaustive exercise groups received 200 mg/kg/day of cinnamon extract by intra gastric intubation for 14 days. Exhaustive exercise and cinnamon extract and exhaustive exercise groups firstly ran on a treadmill at the speed of 10 m/min. for warm-up. Then, speed increased by 2 m/min. every 2 minutes to reach 28 m/min. The rats were anesthetized and their SOL and EDL muscles were removed at rest, immediately and after 4 hours. The homogenized and western blot methods were used to identify the changes in variables. Data were analyzed by independent t test and one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) at the significance level (P≤0.05). Results showed that nAChR was significantly higher immediately and after 4 hours in SOL muscle in all groups than the control group (P<0.05). However, this increase was not significant in EDL muscle (P≥0.05). It seems that cinnamon extract supplementation and endurance exercise might be an appropriate approach to decrease the development of sarcopenia and to increase nAChR synthesis in the elderly.
- دهقان، غلامرضا؛ ابراهیمی وسطیکلا، سهیلا؛ شقاقی، مهرنوش؛ جعفری، افشار؛ محمدی، مصطفی؛ بدلزاده، رضا؛ فلاح، سعید (1390). «اثر ضداکسایشی عصارۀ پوستۀ دارچین بهدنبال یک جلسه ورزش درماندهساز در موشهای صحرایی نر»، مجلۀ دانشگاه علوم پزشکی بابل، ش 5، ص 28.
- Ando Susumu. (2012). "Neuronal dysfunction with aging and its amelioration". Proceedings of the Japan Academy. Series B, Physical and biological sciences, Vol 88(6), 266.
- Badalzadeh R, Shaghaghi M, Mohammadi M, Dehghan G, & Mohammadi Z. (2014). "The Effect of Cinnamon Extract and Long-Term Aerobic Training on Heart Function, Biochemical Alterations and lipid profile following exhaustive exercise in male rats". Adv Pharm Bull, 4(Suppl 2), 515-520.
- Balice‐Gordon RJ. (1997). »Age‐related changes in neuromuscular innervation«. Muscle & nerve, Vol 20(S5), 83-87.
- Bhupathiraju SN, Tucker KL.(2011)." Coronary heart disease prevention: nutrients, foods, and dietary patterns". Clin Chim Acta Vol 412(17-18):1493-1514.
- Bohmann D, Ellis MC, Staszewski LM & Mlodzik M. (1994). "Drosophila Jun mediates Ras-dependent photoreceptor determination". Cell Press, Vol 78(6), 973-986.
- C. Leeuwenburgh, and J. W. Heinecke(2001). "Oxidative Stress and Antioxidants in Exercise". Current Medicinal Chemistry , 8, 829-838.
- Dehghan G, Shafiee A, Ghahremani MH, Ardestani SK & Abdollahi, M. (2007). »Antioxidant potential of various extracts from Ferula szovitsiana. in relation to their phenolic content«. Pharmaceutical Biology, Vol 45(9), 691-699.
- De Oliveira SL, Diniz DB & Amaya-Farfan, J. (2003). "Carbohydrate–energy restriction may protect the rat brain against oxidative damage and improve physical performance". British journal of nutrition, Vol 89(01), 89-96.
- Domenico Fusco,1 Giuseppe Colloca,1 Maria Rita Lo Monaco, and Matteo Cesari (2007). "Effects of antioxidant supplementation on the agin process". Clinical Interv Aging. Sep 2007; 2(3): 377–387.
- Edström E, Altun M, Bergman E, Johnson H, Kullberg S, Ramírez-León V, & Ulfhake B. (2007). "Factors contributing to neuromuscular impairment and sarcopenia during aging". Physiology & Behavior, Vol 92(1), 129-135.
- Fahim MA.(1997)."Endurance exercise modulates neuromuscular junction of C57BL/6NNia aging mice". Journal of applied physiology, Vol 83(1), 59-66.
- Helgerud J, Hoydal K, Wang E, Karlsen T, Berg P, Bjerkaas M & Hoff J. (2007). "Aerobic High-Intensity Intervals Improve VO2max More Than Moderate Training". Medicine and science in sports and exercise.Vol 39(4), 665-671
- .Hepple RT, Baker DJ, Kaczor JJ, Krause DJ. (2005). "Long-term caloric restriction abrogates the age-related decline in skeletal muscle aerobic function". FASEB Journal 19: 1320 –1322.
- JangYC, &Van Remmen H. (2011). "Age-associated alterations of the neuromuscular junction". Experimental gerontology, Vol 46(2), 193-198.
- J. Shaw Pamela, G. Ince Paul, Gavin Falkous MPhil and David Mantle. "Oxidative damage to protein in sporadic motor neuron disease spinal cord" (2004), Volume 38, Issue 4, pages 691–695
- Kim JH, Kwak HB, Leeuwenburgh C, Lawler JM. (2008). "Lifelong exercise and mild (8%) caloric restriction attenuate age-induced alterations in plantaris muscle morphology, oxidative stress and IGF-1 in the Fischer-344 rat".Experimental gerontology Vol 43:317–329.
- Kim HT. (2005). "Effect of the joint administration of selenium and vitamin E in combination with regular aerobic exercise on markers of lipid peroxidation and glutathione peroxidase in diabetic rats". International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, Vol 15(3), 266-278.
- Kovanen V & Suominen H. (1987). »Effects of age and life-time physical training on fibre composition of slow and fast skeletal muscle in rats«. Pflügers Archiv Europian journal of Physiology, Vol 408(6), 543-551.
- Krause Neto W, & Gama EF. (2013). "The process of aging and neuromuscular junction morphology of limb muscles: a systematic review". J. Morphol, Vol 30(4), 213-218.
- Lang T, Streeper T, Cawthon P, Baldwin K, Taaffe, DR, & Harris TB.(2010). "Sarcopenia: Etiology, clinical consequences, intervention, and assessment". Osteoporosis International, Vol 21(4), 543-559.
- Lee JS, Jeon SM, Park EM, Huh TL, Kwon OS, Lee MK, et al.(2003). "Cinnamate supplementation enhances hepatic lipid metabolism and antioxidant defense systems in high cholesterol-fed rats". Journal Medicinal Food. Vol 6(3):183-91.
- M. Y. Hasan, W. B. Alshuaib, nd M. A. Fahim (2002)."The impact of vitamin C on diabetes induced alterations at murine neuromuscular junction"Endocrine research , 28(1&2), 49–59.
- .Naito H, Powers SK, Demirel HA & Aoki J. (2001). "Exercise training increases heat shock protein in skeletal muscles of old rats". Medicine and science in sports and exercise, Vol 33(5), 729-734.
- Pollari E, Goldsteins G, Bart G, Koistinaho J & Giniatullin R. (2014). "The role of oxidative stress in degeneration of the neuromuscular junction in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis".Journal Frontiers in cellular neuroscience, Vol 8, 1-8
- Suresh S. Pitchumoni, and P. Murali Doraiswamy. (1998)."Current Status of Antioxidant Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease" Journal American Geriatrics Society Issue 12 Pages 1566–1572, Volume 46.
- TanakaY and Ando S. (1992) "Age-related changes in [3H] ouabain binding to synaptic plasma membranes isolated from mouse brains". Journal Biochem.Vol 112, 117 –121.
- TanakaY, Hasegawa A and Ando S. (1996) "Impaired synaptic functions with aging as characterized by decreased calcium in ﬂ ux and acetylcholine release". Journal Neurosci Research. Vol 43 ,63– 70.
- Valdez, G, Tapia, JC, Kang, H., Clemenson, G. D., Gage, F. H., Lichtman, J. W., & Sanes, J. R. (2010). "Attenuation of age-related changes in mouse neuromuscular synapses by caloric restriction and exercise". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol 107(33), 14863-14868.
- Valdez G, Tapia JC, Lichtman JW, Fox MA, & Sanes JR. (2012). "Shared resistance to aging and ALS in neuromuscular junctions of specific muscles". Vol 7(4), e34640, 1-10.
- Vandervoort AA. (2002). "Aging of the human neuromuscular system". Muscle & Nerve, Vol 25(1), 17-25.
- Vieira HL, Alves PM & Vercelli A. (2011). "Modulation of neuronal stem cell differentiation by hypoxia and reactive oxygen species". Progress in neurobiology, Vol 93(3), 444-455.