Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
1 Guilan University
2 islamic azad university of rasht
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of a change in the sequence of concurrent endurance and strength training on aerobic power and body composition of active men. 30 men (mean age 25.8 ± 3.50 years) with endurance and strength training history were divided into these groups: endurance training before strength training (ES, n=10), strength training before endurance training (SE, n=10) and no training (control) (C, n=10). Subjects trained for 5 weeks. Strength training protocol was divided into 3 days a week (3 sets, 70-85% 1RM). The endurance training protocol included 3-5 times intermittent running with minimum speed through which the subject reached maximal oxygen consumption (vVO2max). The duration of each running was equal to 50% of time to exhaustion (Tlim) in vVO2max speed. VO2max, Tlim and BF% were measured before and after the training and the results were compared. VO2max and Tlim significantly increased in both training groups (P<0.05) but the difference of increased VO2max was not significant between the two groups (P>0.05). BF% decrease was significant in both groups. Also, there was a significant difference in decreased BF% between the two groups (P<0.05). The results suggested that ES training program induced more decrease in BF% whereas both ES and SE training programs produced similar improvements in VO2max.
- Adams G and Adams GM.(2001) "Exercise Physiology Laboratory Manual with PowerWeb: Health and Human Performance". McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
- Akbarpourbeni M.(2012) "determining the effect of concurrent strength-endurance training on aerobic power and body composition in non-athletic male students". annals of biological research 3: 395-401.
- Ali-Mohamadi M, Abbaspoor M, Rahimi R, and Hakimi M.(2014) "The Influence of Order Execution Components of the Strength andEndurance in the Concurrent Training on Lipid Profile and Body Composition in Overweight Females". World Applied Sciences Journal 29: 946-953.
- Arazi H, Faraji H, Ghahremani-Moghadam M, and Samadi A.(2011) "Effects of concurrent exercise protocols on strength, aerobic power, flexibility and body composition. Kinesiology". Kinesiology 43.
- Balabinis CP, Psarakis CH, Moukas M, Vassiliou MP, and Behrakis PK.(2003) "Early phase changes by concurrent endurance and strength training". Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 17: 393-401.
- Bell GJ, Petersen SR, and Quinney HA.(1988) "Sequencing of Endurance and High velocity Strength Training.". Canada Journal Sports Science 13: 214-219.
- Bell GJ, Peterson SR, Wessel J, Bagnal K, and Quinney HA.(1991) "physiological adaptations to concurrent endurance training and low velocity resistance training". International Journal of Sports and Medicine 12: 384-390.
- Billat V, Renoux JC, Pinoteau J, Petit B, and Koralsztein JP.(1994) "Reproducibility of running time to exhaustion at VO2max in subelite runners". Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 26: 254-257.
- Bishop D and Jenkins DG.(1999) "The effects of strength training On endurance performance and muscle characteristics". Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 31: 886-891.
- 10. Burgomaster KA, Hughes SC, Heigenhauser GJF, Bradwell SN, and Gibala MJ.(2005) "Six sessions of sprint interval training increases muscle oxidative potential and cycle endurance capacity in humans".
- Chtara M, Chamari K, Chaouachi M, Chaouachi A, Koubaa D, Feki Y, Millet GP, and Amri M.(2005) "Effects of intra-session concurrent endurance and strength training sequence on aerobic performance and capacity". British Journal Sports Med 39: 555–560.
- Chtara M, Chaouachi A, Levin GT, Chaouachi M, Chamari K, Amri M, and Laursen PB.(2008) "Effect of Concurrent Endurance and Circuit Resistance Training Sequence on Muscular Strength and Power Development". Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 22: 1037-1045.
- Collins MA and Snow TK.(1993) "Are adaptations to combined endurance and strength training affected by the sequence of training?". Journal Sports Science 11: 485-491.
- Cutts RR and P.Burn S.(2010) "Resistance and Aerobic Training Sequence Effects on Energy Consumption in Females". International Journal of Exercise Sciences 3: 143-149.
- Davitt PM, Pellegrino JK, Schanzer JR, Tjionas H, and Arent SM.(2014) "The effects of a combined resistance training and endurance exercise program in inactive college female subjects: does order matter?". J Strength Cond Res 28: 1937-1945.
- Dolezal BA and Potteiger JA.(1998) "Concurrent resistance and endurance training influence basal metabolic rate in nondieting individuals". J Appl Physiol (1985) 85: 695-700.
- Drummond MJ, Vehrs PR, Schaalje GB, and Parcell AC.(2005) "Aerobic and resistance exercise sequence affects excess postexercise oxygen consumption". Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 19: 332Y337.
- Dudley GA and Djamil R.(1985) "Incompatibility of endurance- and strength-training modes of exercise". Journal of Applied Physiology 59: 1446-1451.
- Ebbeling CB, Ward A, Puleo EM, Widrick J, and Rippe JM.(1991) "Development of a single-stage submaximal treadmill walking test". Med Sci Sports Exerc 23: 966-973.
- Fleck SJ and Kraemer WJ.(2003) "Designing resistance training programs (third ed.)". Champaign: IL: Human Kinetics Books.
- Ghahramanloo E, Midgley AW, and Bentley DJ.(2009) "The effect of concurrent training on blood lipid profile and anthropometrical characteristics of previously untrained men". J Phys Act Health 6: 760-766.
- Gibala MJ, Gillen JB, and Percival ME. "Physiological and Health-Related Adaptations to Low-Volume Interval Training: Influences of Nutrition and Sex". Sports Med. 2014;44(Suppl 2):127-37. Epub 2014 Oct 30 doi:10.1007/s40279-014-0259-6.
- Gibala MJ and McGee SL.(2008) "Metabolic adaptations to short-term high-intensity interval training: a little pain for a lot of gain?". Exerc Sport Sci Rev 36: 58-63.
- Glowacki SP, Martin SE, Maurer A, W B, Green JS, and Crouse SF.(2004) "Effects of resistance, endurance, and concurrent exercise on training outcomes in men.". Med Sci Sports Exerc 36: 2119-2127.
- Gravelle BL and Blessing DL.(2000) "Physiological adaptation in women concurrently training for strength and endurance". Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 14: 5-13.
- Hickson RC.(1980) "Interference of strength development by simultaneously training for strength and endurance". Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 45: 255-263.
- Hodgdon JA BM.(1984) "Prediction of percent body fat for U.S. navy men and women from body circumferences and height.". Naval Health Research Center, San Diego Reports No. 84-29 and 84-11.
- Jenkins, Laursen PB, and David G.(2002) "The Scientific Basis for High-Intensity Interval Training". Sports Medicine 32: 53-73.
- Jürimäe J and Jürimäe T.(2000) "concurrent resistance and endurance training programme for the improvement of physical fitness in middle-aged obese females". Kinesiologia Slovenica 6: 23–29.
- Kang J and Ratamess N.(2014) "Which Comes First? Resistance Before Aerobic Exercise or Vice Versa?". ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal 18: 9-14.
- Klein JF, Horowitz, and Samuel.(2000) "Lipid metabolism during endurance exercise". American Journal of Clinic Nutrition 72(suppl): 558S–563S.
- Laforgia J, Withers RT, Shipp NJ, and Gore CJ.(1997) "Comparison of energy expenditure elevations after submaximal and supramaximal running". Journal of Applied Physiology 82: 661-666.
- Léger L and Mercier D.(1984) "Gross energy cost of horizontal treadmill and track running". Sports Medicine 1: 270-277.
- LeMura LM, von Duvillard SP, Andreacci J, Klebez JM, Chelland SA, and Russo J.(2000) "Lipid and lipoprotein profiles, cardiovascular fitness, body composition, and diet during and after resistance, aerobic and combination training in young women". Eur J Appl Physiol 82: 451-458.
- Leveritt M, Abernethy PJ, and Barry BK.(1999) "Concurrent Strength and Endurance Training. A Review.". Sports Medicine 28: 413-427.
- Maughan RJ and Gleeson M.(2004) "The Biochemical Basis of Sports Performance". Oxford University Press.
- McArdle WD, Katch FI, and Katch VL.(2010) "Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance". Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mccarthy JP, Agre JC, Graf BK, Pozniak MA, and Vailas AC.(1995) "Compatibility of Adaptive Responses with Combining Strength and Endurance Training". Journal of Medicine Science in Sports Exercise 27: 429-436.
- Morgan B, Woodruff SJ, and Tiidus PM.(2003) "Aerobic energy expenditure during recreational weight training in females and males". J Sports Sci Med 2: 117-122.
- Nelson AG, Arnall DA, Loy SF, Silvester LJ, and Conlee RK.(1990) "Consequences of combining strength and endurance training regimens". Phys Ther 70: 287-294.
- Ratamess NA and American College of Sports M.(2011) "ACSM's Foundations of Strength Training and Conditioning". Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Robergs RA and Roberts S.(2000) "Fundamental Principles of Exercise Physiology: For Fitness, Performance, and Health". McGraw-Hill.
- Sale DG, Jacobs I, MacDougall JD, and Garner. S.(1990) "Comparison of two regimens of concurrent strength and endurance training.". Med Sci Sports Exerc 22: 348-356.
- Sale DS, Macdougall JD, and Jacobs I.(1990) "Interaction Between Concurrent Strength And endurance Training.". Journal of Appllied Physioliogy 68: 260-270.
- Satiropulos A, Papapanagiotou A, Souglis A, and Serb.(2008) "Changes in hormonal and liPid profile after a soccer match in male amateur players". J Sports Sci 2: 31-36.
- Staron RS, Malicky ES, Leonardi MJ, Falkel JE, Hagerman FC, and Dudley GA.(1990) "Muscle hypertrophy and fast fiber type conversions in heavy resistance-trained women". Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 60: 71-79.
- Stisen AB, Stougaard O, Langfort J, Helge JW, Sahlin K, and Madsen K.(2006) "Maximal fat oxidation rates in endurance trained and untrained women". Eur J Appl Physiol 98: 497-506.
- Talanian JL, Galloway SD, Heigenhauser GJ, Bonen A, and Spriet LL.(2007) "Two weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women". Journal of Appllied Physiology 102: 1439-1447.
- Tanaka H and Swensen T.(1998) "Impact of resistance training on endurance performance. A new form of cross-training?". Sports Med 25: 191-200.
- Tarasi Z, Beiki Y, Hossini F, and Malaei M.(2011) "The Effect of the Sequence of Concurrent Strength and Endurance Training on Aerobic Capacity, Anaerobic Capacity and Maximum Strength of male Adolescents". Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 5: 1195-1201.
- Valizade A, Azmoon H, and Meamarbashi A.(2010) "The effect of sequence order in combined training on maximal strength and Aerobic capacity". world applied science Journal 10: 797-802.
- Van Gammeren D, Falk D, and Antonio J.(2002) "The effects of four weeks of ribose supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in healthy, young, male recreational bodybuilders: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial". Current Therapeutic Research 63: 486-495.
- Wilson JM, Marin PJ, Rhea MR, Wilson SM, Loenneke JP, and Anderson JC.(2012) "Concurrent training: a meta-analysis examining interference of aerobic and resistance exercises". J Strength Cond Res 26: 2293-2307.