Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
The present study intended to compare two types of aerobic training on serum levels of resistin and insulin resistance in type-2 diabetic women. 24 middle-aged type-2 diabetic women (mean age 41.8±3.45 yr, weight 76.8±3.61 kg, BMI 31.1±1.02 kg/m2, body fat percentage 41.6±1.38 and WHR 0.94±0.05) were purposively selected and then randomly assigned to three groups: highly-intensity interval training, moderate-intensity endurance training and control. The two experimental groups performed the training protocol for 16 weeks, 3 sessions per week. After 12 hours of fasting, blood samples were collected and serum resistin concentration and insulin were measured. The data were analyzed by Kolmogorov –Smirnoff test, one-way ANOVA, Bonferroni post hoc test and paired t testat the significance level of P>0.05. Findings showed no significant statistical difference between highly-intensity interval training and moderate-intensity endurance training in serum resistin and insulin resistance. Both types of training significantly reduced resistin, insulin resistance, BMI and body fat percentage (P>0.05), but they could not significantly change WHR (P>0.05). The results showed no significant differences between 16 weeks of highly-intensity interval training and moderate-intensity endurance training in resistin, anthropometric index and insulin resistance. Both types of training can improve insulin resistance and reduce serum resistin. This reduction can signal the reduction of cardiovascular and metabolic risk factors.
- Adeghate E.(2001). "An update on the biology and physiology of resistin". Cellular and molecular life sciences, 61(19-20), PP:2485-96.
- Ahima RS, Flier JS. (2000). "Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ". Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, PP:327.
- Al-Daghri N, Chetty R, McTernan P, Al-Rubean K, Al-Attas O, Jones A, et al. (2005). "Serum resistin is associated with C-reactive protein and LDL- cholesterol in type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease in a Saudi population". Cardiovascular Diabetology, 4(1), PP:10.
- Azuma K and et al. (2003). "Correlation between serum resistin level and adiposity in obese individuals": Obesity: 11, PP:997-1001.
- Balducci S, Zanuso S, Nicolucci A, Fernando F, Cavallo S, Cardelli P, et al. (2010). "Anti-inflammatory effect of exercise training in subjects with type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome is dependent on exercise modalities and independent of weight loss". Nutr Metabol Cardiovasc Dis; 20, PP:608-617.
- Das M and et al. (2004). "Caloric restriction, body fat and ageing in experimental models": Obesity Reviews: 5, PP:13-19.
- de Groot PC, Hjeltnes N, Heijboer AC, et al. (2003). "Effect of training intensity on physical capacity, lipid profile and insulin sensitivity in early rehabilitation of spinal cord injured individuals". Spinal Cord, 41, PP:673-9.
- Earnest CP. Exercise interval training: (2008). "An improved stimulus for improving the physiology of pre-diabetes". Medical Hypotheses,71, PP:752-761 .
- Fontana L, Klein S, Holloszy J. (2010). "Effects of long-term calorie restriction and endurance exercise on glucose tolerance, insulin action, and adipokine production". Age, 32(1), PP:97-108.
- Giannopoulou I, Fernhall B, Carhart R, Weinstock R, Baynard T, Figueroa A, et al. (2005). "Effects of diet and/or exercise on the adipocytokine and inflammatory cytokine levels of postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes". Metabolism 54, PP:866-875.
9. Elloumi M, BenOunis O, Makhani E, Van Praagh E, Tabka Z, Lac G.(2009). "Effect of individualized weight‐loss programmes on adiponectin, leptin and resistin levels in obese adolescent boys".PP: 1487–1493
12. Heilbronn LK and et al. (2004). "Relationship between serum resistin concentrations and insulin resistance in nonobese, obese, and obese diabetic subjects". J Clin Endocrinol Metab: 89, PP: 1844-1848.
- Holcomb IN and et al. (2000). "FIZZ1, a novel cysteine-rich secreted protein associated with pulmonary inflammation, defines a new gene family": EMBO J: 19., PP:4046– 4055.
- Jones T, Basilio J, Brophy P, Cammon M, Hickner R. (2009). "Long-term exercise training in overweight adolescents improves plasma peptide YY and resistin". Obesity, 17, PP:1189–1195.
15. Jung, S.H., Park, H.S., Kim, K.S., Choi, W.H., Ahn, C.W., Kim, B.T., et al. (2008). "Effect of weight loss on some serum cytokines in human obesity:increase in IL-10 after weight loss". J Nutr Biochem, 19(6), PP:371-375.
- Kadoglou N, Perrea D, Iliadis F, Angelopoulou N, Liapis C, Alevizos M. (2007). "Exercise reduces resistin and inflammatory cytokines in patients with type 2 diabetes". Diabetes,30, PP:719-721.
- Kelly A, Steinberger J, Olson T, Dengel D. (2007). "In the absence of weight loss, exercise training does not improve adipokines or oxidative stress in overweight children". Metabolism, 54, PP:1005-1009.
- Lazzer S, Vermorel M, Montaurier C, Meyer M, Boirie Y. (2005). "Changes in adipocyte hormones and lipid oxidation associated with weight loss and regain in severely obese adolescents". Int J Obes, 29, PP: 1184–91.
- Lee SJ, TjØnna AE, Rognmo Ø, et al . (2008). "Aerobic interval training versus continuous moderate exercise as a treatment for the metabolic syndrome". Cirulation,118, PP:346-54.
- Lim S, Choi SH, Jeong IK, Kim JH, Moon MK, Park KS, et al. (2008). "Insulin-sensitizing effects of exercise on adiponectin and retinolbinding protein-4 concentrations in young and middle-aged women". J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 93(6), PP:2263-2268.
- Monzillo LU, Hamdy O, Horton ES, Ledbury S, Mullooly C, Jarema C, et al. (2003). "Effect of lifestyle modification on adipokine in obese subjects with insulin resistance". Obes Res, 11, PP:1048-1054.
- Osawa H, Tabara Y, Kawamoto R, Ohashi J, Ochi M, Onuma H, et al. (2007). "Plasma resistin, associated with single nucleotide polymorphism-420, is correlated with insulin resistance, lower HDL cholesterol, and high- sensitivity C-reactive protein in the Japanese general population". Diabetes Care, 30, PP:1501-1506.
- Pravenec, M., Kazdova, L., Landa, V., et al. (2003). "Transgenic and recombinant resistin impair skeletal muscle glucose metabolism in the spontaneously hypertensive rat". J Biol Chem, 278, PP:45209– 45215.
- Ping L, Xia L, Li-xin W . (2007). "Effects of exercise interference on the serum resistin and insulin sensitivity in patients with impaired glucose tolerance". Beijing Sport Univ,23, PP:10-22.
- Poirier P, Tremblay A, Broderick T, et al. (2002). "Impact of moderate aerobic exercise training on insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic men treated with oral hypoglycemic agents: is insuling sensitivity enhanced only in nonobese subjects?" Med Sci Monit.,8, PP:CR59-CR65.
- Rashidlamir A, Hashemi Javaheri A, Jaafari M.(2011). "The effect of regular aerobic training with weight loss on concentrations of fibrinogen and resistin in healthy and overweight men". Tehran University Medical Journal, 68(12), PP: 710-717.
- Ravussin E, Smith SR. (2002). "Increased fat intake, impaired fat oxidation,and failure of fat cell proliferation result in ectopic fat storage, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes mellitus". Annals of the New York Academy of Science, 967, PP: 363–378.
- Reilly M, Lehrke M, Wolfe M, Rohatgi A, Lazar M, Rader D. (2005). "Resistin is an inflammatory marker of atherosclerosis in humans". Circulation,111(7), PP:932.
- Rong L, Xiao-ping LI, Yan Z.(2007). Serum resistin and adiponectin concentrations in patients with overweight and obesity. Journal of Medical Colleges of PLA, 22(3), PP:160-164
- Silswal N, Singh A, Aruna B, Mukhopadhyay S, Ghosh S, Ehtesham N. (2005). "Human resistin stimulates the proinflammatory cytokines TNF-[alpha] and IL-12 in macrophages by NF-[kappa] B-dependent pathway". Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications,334(4), PP:1092-101.
- Smith SR and et al. (2003). "A promoter genotype and oxidative stress potentially link resistin to human insulin resistance: Diabetes": 52, PP: 1611-1618.
- Steppan CM, Bailey ST, Bhat S, Brown EJ, Banerjee R,Wright CM, et al. (2001). "The hormone resistin links obesity to diabetes". Nature,409, PP:312-307.
- Svaciniva h, Olsovsky J, Zakova V,et al. (2003). "The effect of walking exercise on aerobic capacity and serum lipids in type 2 diabetes". Venitr Lek, 49, PP: 205-9.
- Tasuku Teradaa, Alanna Friesena and et al,( 2012). "Feasibility and preliminary efficacy of high intensity interval training in type 2 diabetes" . physical activity and diabetes Laboratory, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2H9, PP:120-129
- Ukkola, O. (2002). "Resistin a mediator of obesity associated insulin resistance or an innocent bystander?". European Journal of Endocrinology, 147, PP:571–574.
- Vozarova DC and et al. (2004). "High serum resistin is associated with an increase in adiposity but not a worsening of insulin resistance in Pima Indians: Diabetes": 53., PP:1279-1284.
- Yang Y, Xu Z, Huang W D.(2007). "Study of Resistin gene expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cell and its gene polymorphism in a small range population". J Zhejiang Univ SciB, 8(2), PP:132-135.