Document Type : Research Paper I Open Access I Released under CC BY-NC 4.0 license
Associate professor of sport physiology, Physical education and sport science faculty, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
PhDStudent of sport physiology, physical education and sport science faculty, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
PhD Student of sport physiology, physical education and sport science faculty, FerdowsiUniversity of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Introduction: we researched to study the Effect of Berberis vulgaris supplementation on glycemic indices patients with diabetes type 2 after one session of aerobic exercise in accordance to independent effects of barberry extract and aerobic exercise.
Methods and material: 32 patient men with type 2 diabetes accidently divided into four groups of barberry extract (10 cc per 200 ml of water), exercise (60 to 70 of maxHR), combination of exercise and barberry extract and control. Glycemic indices were measured at the initiation of protocol and once at the end. Paired T test and ANOVA were used for data analysis.
Results: the following variable were reduced at the end in comparison to the primary assessment: serum glucose (barberry extract, exercise training and combination), glucolized hemoglobin (combination), insulin (exercise training and combination), insulin resistance (barberry extract, exercise training and combination)(P<0.05). Also the following variables are lower in comparison to control: serum glucose (combination), insulin (exercise training and combination), insulin resistance (combination) (P<0.05).
Conclusion: aerobic exercise and extract of barberry have independent beneficial effects on glycemic indices. However utilization of the both can amplify the effects to improve diabetes type2.
Keywords: Insulin, Type diabetes, Berberis vulgaris, Glucose, Insulin resistance, Aerobic exercise, Gelycolized hemoglobin.
- Albright A, Franz M, Hornsby G, Krika A, Marrero D, Ullrich I et al. Exercise and type 2 diabetes. Med sci sports Exrcise 2000; 32 (7): 1345-1360.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes-2012. Diabetea Care 2012; 35(1)S11-S63.
- Arayne MS, Sultana N, SherBahadur S. The berberis story: Berberis vulgaris in therapeutics. Pak J Sci. 2007;20)1):83-92.
- Arora E, Shenoy S, Sandhu JS. Effects of resistance training on metabolic profile of adults with type 2 diabetes. Indian J Med Res. 2009 May; 129(5): 515-9.
- Balducci S, Zanuso S, Nicolucci A, Fernando F, Cavallo S, Cardelli P, et al. (2010). Anti-inflammatory effect of exercise training in subjects with type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome is dependent on exercise modalities and independent of weight loss. NutrMetabCardiovasc Dis, 20 (8): 608- 17.
- Bweir S, Al-Jarrah M, Almalty AM, Maayah M, Smirnova IV, Novikova L. Resistance exercise training lowers HbA1c more than aerobic training in adults with type 2 diabetes. DiabetolMetabSyndr. 2009 Dec; 10(1): 27.
- Carmen C, Jennifere L, Ledamunoz O, Patricial G, Joseph W, Mona F. A randomized controlled trial of resistance exercise training to improve glycemic control in older adults.
- Casey L, Nicholas FT. Progressive resistance exercise improves glycemic control in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy 2009; 55(4): 237-46.
- Cheng Z, Pang T, Gu M, Gao AH, Xie CM, Li JY, et al. Berberine-stimulated glucose uptake in L6 myotubes involves both AMP and p38 MAPK. BiochimBiophysActa. 2006;11:1682–1689.
- Cho K, Kim YB. Molecular mechanism of insulin resistance in obesity and type 2 diabetes. Korean J Intern Med. 2010 Jun; 25(2): 119-29.
- Church TS, Blair SN, Coerham S, Johannsen N, Johnson W, Kramer K, et al. Effects of aerobic and resistance training on hemoglobin A12 Levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2010; 304(20): 2253-2262.
- Cuff DJ, Meneilly GS, Martin A, Ignaszewski A, Tildesley HD, and Frohlich JJ. Effective exercise modality to reduce insulin resistance in women with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care 2003; 26: 2977-2982.
- Cui G, Qin X, Zhang Y, Gong Z, Ge B, Zang YQ. Berberine Differentially Modulates the Activities of ERK, p38 MAPK, and JNK to Suppress Th17 and Th1 T Cell Differentiation in Type 1 Diabetic Mice. J BiolChem 2009; 284(41): 28420-9.
- Dela F, von Linstow ME, Mikines KJ, Galbo H. Physical training may enhance beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes. Am J PhysiolEndocrinolMetabol 2004;287: E1024–31.
- DiLoreto C, Fanelli C, Lucidi P, Murdolo G, DeCicco A, Parlanti N, et al. Validation of a counseling strategy to promote the adoption and the maintenance of physical activity by type 2 diabetic subjects. Diabetes Care 2003; 26, 404 – 8.
- Ebrahimi-Mamaghani M, Arefhosseini SR, Golzarand M, Aliasgarzadeh A, Vahed-Jabbary, M. Long-term Effects of Processed Berberis Vulgaris on Some Metabolic Syndrome Components. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2010; 11(1): 41-47.
- Fatehi M, Saleh TM, Fatehi-Hassanabad Z. A pharmacological study on Berberis Vulgaris fruit extract. J Ethnopharm. 2005;102(10):46-52.
- Gao CR, Zhang JQ, Huang QL. Experimental study on berberin raised insulin sensitivity in insulin resistance rat models. ZhongguoZhong Xi Yi Jie He ZaZhi. 1997; 17(3): 162-164.
- Giannopoulou I, ploutz-snyder LL, Carhart R, Weinstock RS, Fernhall B, Goulopoulou S et al. Exercise is required for visceral fat loss in postmenopausal women with type 2 Diabetes. J ClinEndocrinolMetab 2005; 90: 1511-1518.
- Gloria Y, David M, Ted J, Russell S. Systematic Review of Herbs and Dietary Supplements for Glycemic Control in Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003; 26: 1277–94.
- Hazaveyee SM, Torkman A. editors. Exercise andcuredisease. Hamedan: Chehr Publication.2002;P: 25-51.
- Hordern MD, Cooney LM, Beller EM, Prins JB, Marwick TH, andCoombes JS. Determinants of changes in blood glucose response to short-term exercise training in patients with type 2 diabetes. Clinical Science 2008; 115: 273-281.
- Hubinger A, Ridderskamp I, Lehmann E. Metabolic response to different forms of physical exercise in type i diabetics and the duration of the glucose lowering effect. Eur J Clin Invest 1985; 15: 197– 205.
- Ivanovska N, Phlipov S. Study on the anti-inlammatory action of berberis vulgaris root extract, alkaloid fractions and pure alkaloid. Int J Ethnopharmacol. 1999;649(2):161-66.
- Izumi T, Suzuki Y, Fukunaga T, Yokozeki T, Akima H, Funato K. Resistance training affects glut-4 content in skeletal muscle of humans after 19 days of head-down bed rest. J Appl Physiology 1999; 86(3): 909– 14.
- Jae SY, Heffernan KS, Lee MK, Fernhall B, Park WH. Relation of cardio respiratory fitness to inflammatory markers, fibrinolytic actors and lipoprotein (a) in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Am JCardiol 2008;102:700-6.
- Jason J. Winnick W. Michael S, Diane L. Habash MB. Stout, Mark L, et al. Schuster short-term aerobic exercise training in obese humans with type 2 diabetes mellitus improves whole-body insulin sensitivity through gains in peripheral, not hepatic insulin sensitivity. J ClinEndocrinolMetab 2008; 93: 771 –8.
- Kian bakht S. Systematic review on saffron sharmacology and its effective substance. Journal of Medical Plants 2008; 7(4): 1-27.
- Ko BS, Choi SB, Park SK, Jang JS, Kim YE, Park S. Insulin sensitizing and insulinotropic action of berberine from CortidisRhizoma. Biol Pharm Bull. 2005;28:1431–1437.
- Le M, Linda M, Von D, Serg P. Clinical exercise physiology. Philadelphia: LWW; 2004.
- Li SC, Liu YH, Liu JF, Chang WH, Chen CM, Chen CY. Almond consumption improved glycemic control and lipid profiles in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 2011; 60: 474-9.
- Majd A, Mehrabian S, Mostafai H, Rahmani H. Antioxidant and anticancer effect of aqueous extract of berberisintegerrima. J of biological sciences. 2008;1:31-38. [Article in Persian].
- Manson JE, Nathan DM, Krotewski AS. A prospective study of exercise and incidence of diabetes among U.S. male physicians. JAMA 1992; 268:637.
- Marcus RL, Smith S, Morrell G, Addison O, Dibble LE, Wahoff-Stice D, and Lastago PC. Comparison of Combined aerobic and High–Force eccentric resistance exercise with aerobic exercise only for people with type 2 diabetes Mellitus. Physther 2008; 88: 1345-1354.
- Marwick TH, Hordern MD, Miller T, Chyun DA, Bertoni AG, Blumenthal RS, et al. Exercise Training for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Impact on Cardiovascular Risk: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2009;119:3244-3262.
- Mauro VF, Taylor ML, Dawson KL, Tabb NC. A review of diabetes mellitus and its therapeutic options. The University of Toledo College of Pharmacy and College of Medicine 2006; 27- 41.
- Nawel M, Mohamed E, Amine D. Hypoglycaemic effect of Berberis vulgaris L. in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian Pac J of Trop Biome. 2011;468-471.
- Nieman DC. Exercise testing and prescription. 5th ed. New York: Mhhe; 2003.
- Reynolds THIV, Supiano MA, Dengel DR. Regional differences in glucose clearance: effects of insulin and resistance training on arm and leg glucose clearance in older hypertensive individuals. J ApplPhysiol 2007; 102: 985–91.
- Roglic G, Unwin N, Bennett PH, Mathers C, Tuomilehto J, Nag S, et al. The burden of mortality attributable o diabetes: realistic estimates for the year 2000. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 2130-5.
- shamsi M, sharifirad G, kachoyee A, hassanzadeh A, The Effect of Educational Program Walking Based on Health Belief Model on Control Suger in Woman by Type 2 Diabetics Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2010; 11 (5) :490-499.
- Shavandi N, Shahrjerdi S, Sheikh hoseini R, ghorbani I. The effect of strengthening exercises on metabolic factors, quality of life and mental health in women with type 2 diabetes. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010; 12(3): 222-31.
- Shaw JE, Sicree RA, Zimmet PZ. Global estimates of the prevalence of diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res ClinPract 2010; 87: 4-14.
- Sigal RJ, Kenny PK, Boule NG, wells GA, prud' home D, Fortier M, et al. Effects of aerobic Training, resistance training a both on Glycemic control in type 2 diabetes. Ann Intern Med 2007; 147:357-369.
- Sori R, Rangbar SH, Vahabi K, Shabkhiz F. The effet of aerobic training on serum RBP4 and insulin resistance index in type 2 diabetic patients. Iranian Journal of Lipid and Diabetic 2011; 10(4): 388-97.
- Sunmin P, Sang Mee H, JiEun L, So Ra S. Exercise improves glucose homeostasis that has been β impaired by a high-fat diet by potentiating pancreatic- cell function and mass through IRS2 in diabetic rats. J ApplPhysiol 2007; 103: 1764-71.
- Tadibi V, Bayat Z. Effect of eight weeks aerobic training and drug intervention on quality of life in women with type 2 diabetes. J GorganUni Med Sci 2012; 14(2): 30-6.
- Wang Y, Simar D, FiataroneSingh M. Adaptations to exercise training within skeletal muscle in adults with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance: a systematic review. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2009 Jan; 25(1): 13-40.
- Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 1047-53.
- Yavari A, Nagaphipour F, Asgarzadeh AA, Niafar M, Mobseri M, Nikokhoslat S. The effect of aerobic, resistance and combined on control of blood glucose and cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes patients. J Tabriz Med Sci 2011; 33(4): 82-91.
- Yin I, Hu R, Chen M, Tang J, Li F, Yang Y, et al. Effects of berberine on glucose metabolism in vitro. Metabolism. 2002;51(11):1439-1443.
- Yin J, Hu R, Chen M, Tang J, Li F, Yang Y, Chen J. Effects of berberine on glucose metabolism in vitro. Metabolism. 2002; 51(11): 1439-1443.
- Zhou L, Yang Y, Wang X, Liu S, Shang W, Yuan G, et al. Berberine stimulates glucose transport through a mechanism distinct from insulin. Metabolism. 2007;56:405–412.