1. Caballero B (2007) The global epidemic of obesity: an overview. Epidemiologic reviews 29: 1-5.
2. Seidell JC (2000) Obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes-a worldwide epidemic. British Journal of Nutrition 83: S5.
3. Ahima RS, Flier JS (2000) Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ. Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism 11: 327-332.
4. Kahn SE, Hull RL, Utzschneider KM (2006) Mechanisms linking obesity to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature 444: 840-846.
5. Rasouli N, Kern PA (2008) Adipocytokines and the metabolic complications of obesity. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 93: s64-s73.
6. Zou C, Shao J (2008) Role of adipocytokines in obesity-associated insulin resistance. The Journal of nutritional biochemistry 19: 277-286.
7. Fukuhara A, Matsuda M, Nishizawa M, Segawa K, Tanaka M, et al. (2005) Visfatin: a protein secreted by visceral fat that mimics the effects of insulin. Science 307: 426-430.
8. Chen M-P, Chung F-M, Chang D-M, Tsai JC-R, Huang H-F, et al. (2006) Elevated plasma level of visfatin/pre-B cell colony-enhancing factor in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 91: 295-299.
9. Pagano C, Pilon C, Olivieri M, Mason P, Fabris R, et al. (2006) Reduced plasma visfatin/pre-B cell colony-enhancing factor in obesity is not related to insulin resistance in humans. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 91: 3165-3170.
10. Frydelund-Larsen L, Akerstrom T, Nielsen S, Keller P, Keller C, et al. (2007) Visfatin mRNA expression in human subcutaneous adipose tissue is regulated by exercise. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism 292: E24-E31.
11. López-Bermejo A, Chico-Julià B, Fernàndez-Balsells M, Recasens M, Esteve E, et al. (2006) Serum visfatin increases with progressive β-cell deterioration. Diabetes 55: 2871-2875.
12. Dötsch J, Rascher W, Meißner U (2005) Does visceral fat produce insulin? European journal of endocrinology 153: 475-476.
13. Varma V, Yao-Borengasser A, Rasouli N, Bodles AM, Phanavanh B, et al. (2007) Human visfatin expression: relationship to insulin sensitivity, intramyocellular lipids, and inflammation. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 92: 666-672.
14. Jorge MLMP, de Oliveira VN, Resende NM, Paraiso LF, Calixto A, et al. (2011) The effects of aerobic, resistance, and combined exercise on metabolic control, inflammatory markers, adipocytokines, and muscle insulin signaling in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 60: 1244-1252.
15. Ahmadizad S, Tahmasebi W, Bassami M, Sajadi M, Fathi I (2012) Effects of Progressive Resistance Training on Plasma Visfatin, Insulin Resistance and Effective Hormoneson Visfatin. OLYMPIC 2: 59-71.
16. Vatani DS, Faraji H, Rahimi R, Ahmadizad S (2011) Acute effect of exercise type on serum visfatin in healthy men. MED SPORT 65: 75-83.
17. Shang J, Chen L-L, Sun H, Xiao F-X, Shu Y-w (2008) Effect of exercise on expression of visfatin of visceral fat in high-fat-diet-fed rats [J]. China Journal of Modern Medicine 5: 014.
18. Koltai E, Szabo Z, Atalay M, Boldogh I, Naito H, et al. (2010) Exercise alters SIRT1, SIRT6, NAD and NAMPT levels in skeletal muscle of aged rats. Mechanisms of ageing and development 131: 21-28.
19. Ghanbari Niaki A, Fathi R, Shahandeh F, Yazdani M, Hajizadeh A (2011) The effect of endurance training and Pistacia atlantica (bene) extraction on resting plasma visfatin and lipids levels in female rats. Daneshvar 18: 53-62.
20. Ghanbari-Niaki A, Saghebjoo M, Soltani R, Kirwan JP (2010) Plasma visfatin is increased after high-intensity exercise. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 57: 3-8.
21. Haus J, Solomon T, Marchetti C, O'Leary V, Gonzalez F, et al. (2009) Decreased visfatin after exercise training correlates with improved glucose tolerance. Medicine+ Science in Sports+ Exercise 41: 1255.
22. Jürimäe J, Ramson R, Mäestu J, Purge P, Jürimäe T, Arciero PJ, von Duvillard SP. (2009) Plasma visfatin and ghrelin response to prolonged sculling in competitive male rowers. Med Sci Sports Exerc 41: 137-143.
23. Seo D-i, So W-Y, Ha S, Yoo E-J, Kim D, et al. (2011) Effects of 12 weeks of combined exercise training on visfatin and metabolic syndrome factors in obese middle-aged women. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 10: 222-226.
24. Moghadasi M, Mohammadi Domieh A, Khajehlandi A, Rostami A (1391) Comparing the effects of 8 weeks of resistance and endurance training on plasma visfatin in middle-aged men. Exercise physiology 3: 39-50.
25. Turcotte LP, Fisher JS (2008) Skeletal muscle insulin resistance: roles of fatty acid metabolism and exercise. Physical therapy 88: 1279-1296.
26. Zurlo F, Larson K, Bogardus C, Ravussin E (1990) Skeletal muscle metabolism is a major determinant of resting energy expenditure. Journal of Clinical Investigation 86: 1423.
27. Jones D, Rutherford O, Parker D (1989) Physiological changes in skeletal muscle as a result of strength training. Experimental Physiology 74: 233-256.
28. Winett RA, Carpinelli RN (2001) Potential health-related benefits of resistance training. Preventive medicine 33: 503-513.
29. Kraemer WJ, Fleck SJ, Maresh CM, Ratamess NA, Gordon SE, et al. (1999) Acute hormonal responses to a single bout of heavy resistance exercise in trained power lifters and untrained men. Canadian journal of applied physiology 24: 524-537.
30. Kraemer WJ, Patton JF, Gordon SE, Harman EA, Deschenes MR, et al. (1995) Compatibility of high-intensity strength and endurance training on hormonal and skeletal muscle adaptations. Journal of Applied Physiology 78: 976-989.
31. Kraemer WJ, Adams K, Cafarelli E, Dudley GA, Dooly C, et al. (2002) American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Progression models in resistance training for healthy adults. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 34: 364-380.
32. Brzycki M (1993) Strength testing—predicting a one-rep max from reps-to-fatigue. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance 64: 88-90.
33. Baechle TR, Earle RW (2008) Essentials of strength training and conditioning: Human kinetics.
34. Matthews D, Hosker J, Rudenski A, Naylor B, Treacher D, et al. (1985) Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28: 412-419.
35. Choi K, Kim J, Cho G, Baik S, Park H, et al. (2007) Effect of exercise training on plasma visfatin and eotaxin levels. European Journal of Endocrinology 157: 437-442.
36. Haider DG, Pleiner J, Francesconi M, Wiesinger GF, Müller M, et al. (2006) Exercise training lowers plasma visfatin concentrations in patients with type 1 diabetes. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 91: 4702-4704.
37. Garten A, Petzold S, Körner A, Imai S-i, Kiess W (2009) Nampt: linking NAD biology, metabolism and cancer. Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism 20: 130-138.
38. Sommer G, Garten A, Petzold S, Beck-Sickinger A, Bluher M, et al. (2008) Visfatin/PBEF/Nampt: structure, regulation and potential function of a novel adipokine. Clinical Science 115: 13-23.
39. Costford SR, Bajpeyi S, Pasarica M, Albarado DC, Thomas SC, et al. (2010) Skeletal muscle NAMPT is induced by exercise in humans. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism 298: E117-E126.
40. Zafeiridis A, Smilios I, Considine RV, Tokmakidis SP (2003) Serum leptin responses after acute resistance exercise protocols. Journal of Applied Physiology 94: 591-597.
41. Meirelles CdM, Gomes PSC (2004) Acute effects of resistance exercise on energy expenditure: revisiting the impact of the training variables. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte 10: 122-130.
42. Kralisch S, Klein J, Lossner U, Bluher M, Paschke R, et al. (2005) Interleukin-6 is a negative regulator of visfatin gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism 289: E586-E590.
43. Sethi JK, Vidal-Puig A (2005) Visfatin: the missing link between intra-abdominal obesity and diabetes? Trends in molecular medicine 11: 344-347.